Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Kristin Cowan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When Ix’ises was born, she had an immediate connection with Job. The Legacy of Job’s Wife is a fictional account of her experiences growing up with Job as she watches him develop into a biblical figure through her eyes. From their travels as children to the city of Uz where Job catches the eye of the magistrate, to their marriage and family tragedies, the story paints a picture of one of the forgotten women of the Bible. Job’s faith is a constant theme throughout the book as his wife questions his unwavering faith in God, even after losing everything.

As Job’s wife is hardly mentioned in biblical texts, this story is a clever concept. I enjoyed seeing Job through the eyes of a loved one. As a child, Ix’ises is not religious and questions a lot of Job’s claims about God. I am glad the author wrote about Ix’ises as a skeptic who challenged Job, rather than someone as faithful as he was. As biblical events unfold, such as Job’s loss of his wealth and family, it is interesting to show that she wants to have faith but struggles to have faith following loss. That theme is something many people can relate to.

The character development in the book is excellent. Both Job and Ix’ises’ family members, as well as their children, are described in depth. The descriptions of their appearances are vivid, but more importantly, their personality traits, hobbies, and temperaments are detailed and developed. The poems at the opening of every chapter are the best part of the book. They are well-written and cover the most important parts of the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. This book has a lot of potential. As someone raised Catholic, I enjoyed this unique account of Job’s story. Parts of the book dragged on and I noticed myself starting to skim content. The story is most enjoyable when Ix’ises and Job are children, learning about the world. Once they become adults and get married, the story jumps forward quickly. Although I realize the author covers Job’s entire life, some events seem rushed and forgettable. I believe the story would have been an easier read if it focused on a few events, rather than including so many.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is Catholic or was raised Catholic. I also would recommend this book to anyone interested in religious historical fiction.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Terry Kimble »

As a woman, I usually find stories of women from the Bible inspiring. Was this the case for you with this book? It's too bad it lulled in sections, causing you to skim. I dread when that happens.
I enjoyed reading this well-written and informative review. :D
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I also enjoy reading stories that go into further detail about women who are not discussed deeply in the Bible, so this sounds like a worthwhile read. I am sorry to hear that parts of the story dragged on. Do you think it could have been better if the author had written the story as a series or at least in two parts so there could be a book that is focused more on the characters' childhoods and a second book that focuses more on their adult life?
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”