Review of Voices from a Forgotten Letter

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Voices from a Forgotten Letter

Post by Julie Basil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Voices from a Forgotten Letter" by Seif-Eldeine.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Voices from a Forgotten Letter: Poems on the Syrian Civil War by Seif-Eldeine is a collection of poems filled with beautiful and heartbreaking imagery that gives readers small glimpses of what life is like for the author and others in the midst of the civil war in Syria. These poems tell stories of daily life in Syria from both before the author and his family members were displaced from their home and from their time living in a refugee camp.

Themes of the poetry collection include death, longing for normalcy, prayer, family relationships, and politics. The author narrates from his own perspective and also from the perspective of those who are dying, soldiers, and others who are living in the state of unrest in Syria that has resulted from the ongoing civil war there. “King or Queen for a Day” is one poem that provides a glimpse into the challenges of daily life as well as the longing for normalcy experienced by those living in a war zone. This poem narrates how the author plays the imaginary game of being king for the day or queen for the day with his children, which is a fairly universal game for parents to play with their children. However, when he plays with them and is king for the day, all he wants is to be able to give them a filling meal, so he gives up his own food so that they can have enough to eat, or at the very least more than they would normally have to eat.

This is a short collection of poems, but they hold a great deal of depth and meaning despite their brevity. In total, there are around 30 poems, some of which are less than ten lines long and others that are longer. The author frequently uses the title as the first line or phrase of a poem, not repeating it after it is listed, but continuing the thought started in the title in the first line of the poem. There are several cultural references and foreign words throughout the poems that I was not familiar with prior to reading this collection of poetry, but the author includes a glossary in the back that provides translations of words from other languages and context for the cultural references.

I give this collection of poems a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I did not find any grammar issues that could not be attributed to the styling of the poetry, so I believe that it has been professionally edited. Although the stories and images expressed by the poems are heartbreaking, I believe reading these poems would be beneficial to anyone who enjoys poetry or learning more about other cultures and parts of the world.

Voices from a Forgotten Letter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Beautiful review for what sounds like a beautiful collection of poems. Cultural poems are the most intriguing, in my opinion. These poems telling stories of daily life in Syria during the civil war must be heartbreaking, as you said. It was lovely to read your insight on this work. All the best, Julie!
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

This collection of poetry will give me a good sense of what life was like in Syria during the civil war. Poetry is a great tool that can be used to tell a story with vivid imagery in a few lines. I am thankful that Seif-Eldeine has shared his and Syria's story with us. Great review, Julie! Thank you. :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Under The Elm by Ivana Christman
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

I think you captured the essence of this book, highlighting its imagery and themes depicting life amidst conflict. It seems pretty interesting. Good job!
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Life is never the same for everyone and we can always appreciate it even in simple ways. The poems seem to be interesting. Thanks for the engaging review Julie.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

Poems about civil war get one emotional and this particular one relieves the experiences of the Syrian war. The author did great work by making them brief with depth. This is a great review and leaves one interested in getting a glimpse of the poems.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Children lose the most in war-torn areas. These heartbreaking poems are bound to make one cry. I could feel the plight of the people reading your comprehensive and emotional review. I look forward to reading more of your reviews. :tiphat:
Runan
Julie Basil

Post by Julie Basil »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 17:15 Beautiful review for what sounds like a beautiful collection of poems. Cultural poems are the most intriguing, in my opinion. These poems telling stories of daily life in Syria during the civil war must be heartbreaking, as you said. It was lovely to read your insight on this work. All the best, Julie!
Thank you, Claudia, for the kind words! I agree that cultural poems are some of the most intriguing.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Julie Basil

Post by Julie Basil »

Gerry Steen wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 22:28 This collection of poetry will give me a good sense of what life was like in Syria during the civil war. Poetry is a great tool that can be used to tell a story with vivid imagery in a few lines. I am thankful that Seif-Eldeine has shared his and Syria's story with us. Great review, Julie! Thank you. :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my review and for the kind words, Gerry! I am also grateful for the author's willingness to share his story.
Sadiya_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadiya-khan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sadiya_Khan »

One of the most intriguing things is using poetry to describe a heartbreaking event. I'm impressed with the way you discussed the novel without giving any spoilers. Keep it up, Julie.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander

Post by Ajain12 »

"Voices from a Forgotten Letter" by Seif-Eldeine offers a poignant portrayal of life in Syria during the civil war through beautifully crafted poems. Profound and heartrending, it's a must-read for poetry enthusiasts and those interested in global issues.
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-lisa-anyango.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango »

The Syrian war has been ongoing for years and most of us only know what happens on the news but knowing firsthand what happens there will be interesting so am going to check this book out. I loved your review.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I love to read poetry. But I am not sure if I would like to read about wars. But your review sounds promising. So I would love to give this book a try.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: When the World Didn't End
Currently Reading: Somewhere in the Deep
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Julie Basil wrote: 31 Mar 2024, 17:49 [Following is a volunteer review of "Voices from a Forgotten Letter" by Seif-Eldeine.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Voices from a Forgotten Letter: Poems on the Syrian Civil War by Seif-Eldeine is a collection of poems filled with beautiful and heartbreaking imagery that gives readers small glimpses of what life is like for the author and others in the midst of the civil war in Syria. These poems tell stories of daily life in Syria from both before the author and his family members were displaced from their home and from their time living in a refugee camp.

Themes of the poetry collection include death, longing for normalcy, prayer, family relationships, and politics. The author narrates from his own perspective and also from the perspective of those who are dying, soldiers, and others who are living in the state of unrest in Syria that has resulted from the ongoing civil war there. “King or Queen for a Day” is one poem that provides a glimpse into the challenges of daily life as well as the longing for normalcy experienced by those living in a war zone. This poem narrates how the author plays the imaginary game of being king for the day or queen for the day with his children, which is a fairly universal game for parents to play with their children. However, when he plays with them and is king for the day, all he wants is to be able to give them a filling meal, so he gives up his own food so that they can have enough to eat, or at the very least more than they would normally have to eat.

This is a short collection of poems, but they hold a great deal of depth and meaning despite their brevity. In total, there are around 30 poems, some of which are less than ten lines long and others that are longer. The author frequently uses the title as the first line or phrase of a poem, not repeating it after it is listed, but continuing the thought started in the title in the first line of the poem. There are several cultural references and foreign words throughout the poems that I was not familiar with prior to reading this collection of poetry, but the author includes a glossary in the back that provides translations of words from other languages and context for the cultural references.

I give this collection of poems a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I did not find any grammar issues that could not be attributed to the styling of the poetry, so I believe that it has been professionally edited. Although the stories and images expressed by the poems are heartbreaking, I believe reading these poems would be beneficial to anyone who enjoys poetry or learning more about other cultures and parts of the world.

Voices from a Forgotten Letter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I love poetry books, and this one seems to be extremely well written. The emotional depth and complexity seems really intriguing. Overall, I think that I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the insightful review!
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Heartbreaking... that's what these poems are. Any war brings devastation and Syria has been suffering for so long. I can't even imagine the struggles of the parents who are trying to give their children some sense of normalcy. Your review captures the essence of this collection of poems beautifully. Thank you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”