Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daberechi Precious
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Daberechi Precious »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer is a gripping tale that blends romance, suspense, and cyber war. Set against the backdrop of a high-stakes cyber conflict, the novel follows Cynthia Patterson, Senator McBride's security chief, as she navigates professional challenges and romantic entanglements.

The story revolves around Cynthia's efforts to protect the world from cyber fraud and terrorism, aided by her brother Glenn and tech expert Timothy Dupre. As Cynthia's relationship with her long-time boyfriend Dan stagnates, she meets the enigmatic Sky Eastman, who offers her a new perspective on love and life. Meanwhile, Cynthia and her team face the daunting task of combating cyber threats and investigating a suspicious drone incident near the White House. The novel culminates in a thrilling and unexpected climax that leaves readers on the edge of their seats.

One of the standout features of the novel is its unpredictability, with numerous unexpected twists and turns that keep the reader engaged. The development of the characters is also commendable, with each one exhibiting distinct traits and contributing to the story in meaningful ways. The book's exploration of contemporary issues, such as social media misuse, privacy concerns, and online security, adds depth and relevance to the narrative. Additionally, the author's writing style is clear and engaging, making for a smooth and enjoyable read.

While reading this book, I found no errors but had my dislikes, which made me remove a point from this book first. The portrayal of Cynthia's romantic decisions, particularly her involvement with Sky Eastman, may seem unrealistic or contrived to some. Additionally, the unresolved fate of Dan, one of the main characters, leaves a sense of incompleteness in the story. Furthermore, the inclusion of detailed information on sensitive topics like contraceptives and abortion may be off-putting to some readers, detracting from the overall enjoyment of the book. I didn't really enjoy that part of this book, and I really wish the author had done more on the cyber security part.

I will rate this book 4 out of 5 stars, my reasons are stated above. I recommended Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer for readers who enjoy suspenseful romance novels with cyber warfare and terrorism. Despite its minor flaws, the novel offers an engaging storyline and well-developed characters. Fans of the genre will find it to be a compelling and enlightening read.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

As Cynthia navigates cyber threats and romantic entanglements, readers are drawn into a thrilling tale filled with unexpected twists and turns.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

Despite the minor flaws you mentioned, it’s interesting to know that “Cynthia and Dan” offers a gripping storyline and well-developed characters.The focus on contemporary issues like social media misuse and online security adds depth to the story. I highly recommend.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”