Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shewaofafrica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shewaofafrica.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Shewaofafrica »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ever since he first discovered the wonders of magic, Delvin's fascination has been unwavering. He eagerly soaked up the tricks and teachings of Magician Borlock until one night changed everything. Standing over Borlock's unconscious body with a chair leg in hand, Delvin is gripped by confusion and fear. Did he really harm his beloved mentor, or is someone setting him up? With Princess Jarla and Fionella by his side, Delvin embarks on a journey to save Hengel from impending war, plunging into a world of adventure and danger.

As soon as I cracked open the first chapter, I was hooked. The story wastes no time, plunging you into the thick of things and leaving you eager for more. The brisk pace keeps you on your toes, raising plenty of intriguing questions along the way. I appreciated how the narrative unfolded at a steady clip, allowing ample room for character development. Townsend's descriptive prowess shines as he brings each location to life, aided by handy maps and layouts. Of all the characters, Princess Jarla stole the show for me. Her strength, fearlessness, and refusal to conform to societal norms made her standout. In a world where women were often sidelined, her boldness was both refreshing and inspiring.

There were a few aspects of this book that didn't quite sit right with me. Primarily, I felt that Townsend could have provided more descriptions of the characters' appearances. It's frustrating not knowing what Delvin or any of the other characters look like, or even their ages. Such details might seem minor, but they greatly enhance the reading experience. Without them, I struggled to form a clear mental image of the protagonist, Delvin. Another significant issue was the abundance of errors throughout the book, which detracted from my overall enjoyment.

In summary, I would give this book, The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend, a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, as it provided an engaging and enjoyable reading experience. The errors are the major cause of the deduction of a star. I would recommend this book to young adults who appreciate thrilling adventures and immersive storytelling.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Chioma Oz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chioma-oz.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes

Post by Chioma Oz »

This book immediately captivates with its fast-paced narrative and rich world-building. Princess Jarla's strength shines amidst a tale of magic and mystery. However, some readers may crave more character descriptions.
Eziokwu960
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eziokwu960.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Eziokwu960 »

Townsend's vivid descriptions bring the world to life, with Princess Jarla standing out as a bold character. Yet, the absence of detailed character descriptions and numerous errors might detract from the experience for some.
Alice Ozoigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ozoigbo.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door by Ali Master

Post by Alice Ozoigbo »

Townsend crafts an exhilarating journey filled with magic and intrigue. Princess Jarla's resilience adds depth to the story, though the lack of character descriptions and errors may pose a challenge for some readers.
Esther Unurhie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-unurhie.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Esther Unurhie »

This review effectively highlights the gripping nature of the story, emphasizing its fast-paced narrative and intriguing plot twists.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I'm glad to hear that this story had you hooked and was engaging due to its fast pace. I can understand how the errors would be distracting and having some more character description could help you connect with the characters better. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”