Review of The Blandford Fly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review of The Blandford Fly

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Blandford Fly" by D.N. Moore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you enjoy reading short stories? Would you be interested in a story about an eco-conscious entomologist and his wife who are struggling to coexist with a bothersome fly? Would you be intrigued by a tale about a group of human slaves controlled by porcelain dolls? Would you be captivated by a narrative about a teenage girl who runs away from home to pursue her love of painting? Would a short story about a ghost searching for her baby, taken away before she was hanged on the gallows, keep you engaged? If you answered yes to these questions, you will be entertained by the book entitled The Blandford Fly by D. N. Moore.

In the initial tale, Danny and Ginger are introduced as seven-year-olds. Danny has a great passion for insects, and Ginger considers him to be magical. Ginger is not as carefree because of her dysfunctional family. However, she is untamed, unpredictable, and adventurous. Danny and Ginger complement each other. They grow up, get married, and live a perfect life together. However, they have an issue with a particular fly. You will have to read the story to find out why.

The second story features Davie, a five-year-old boy who lives as a slave under the oppressive rule of a porcelain doll family. Even though the dolls do not eat, Davie is forbidden to eat the food in the house that he cleans. One day, a doll named Miss Mary Alice allows him to have a bite of fresh bread. She also tells him about a special time of year when forgiveness and friendship are encouraged. Should Davie believe Miss Mary Alice? Read and find out!

The third story is about 15-year-old Georgia. Georgia runs away from home to live in the streets and pursue her love of painting her visions on canvas. Will her love of painting be enough to allow her to survive in the streets?

The fourth story is about mothers who live to love and protect their children. In this story, Jane meets a ghost named Alice. Alice’s restless soul asks Jane to help find her baby. Will Jane be able to help Alice?

Each of these stories captivated me with the suspense of not knowing how things would turn out for the main characters. Aside from the intriguing plots, the stories had a variety of thought-provoking themes running through them. The themes included dysfunctional families, grieving, eco-friendly methods of pest control, the power of human emotion, slavery, the debunking of stereotypes of Indigenous people, the importance of following one’s passion for the arts, and dementia.

The characters were sufficiently developed in each story. The plots evolved quickly. I was in suspense during each tale. All of the endings satisfied me. The book was well edited. I found nothing to dislike. For these reasons, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

The Blandford Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Reading your review I think I like what you describe more than what the book promises. I don't consider that I will read it at any time. I think it could be an interesting read, but I don't think it will be completely convincing. As always, excellent review, thanks for doing it!
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Gerry Steen wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:22 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Blandford Fly" by D.N. Moore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you enjoy reading short stories? Would you be interested in a story about an eco-conscious entomologist and his wife who are struggling to coexist with a bothersome fly? Would you be intrigued by a tale about a group of human slaves controlled by porcelain dolls? Would you be captivated by a narrative about a teenage girl who runs away from home to pursue her love of painting? Would a short story about a ghost searching for her baby, taken away before she was hanged on the gallows, keep you engaged? If you answered yes to these questions, you will be entertained by the book entitled The Blandford Fly by D. N. Moore.

In the initial tale, Danny and Ginger are introduced as seven-year-olds. Danny has a great passion for insects, and Ginger considers him to be magical. Ginger is not as carefree because of her dysfunctional family. However, she is untamed, unpredictable, and adventurous. Danny and Ginger complement each other. They grow up, get married, and live a perfect life together. However, they have an issue with a particular fly. You will have to read the story to find out why.

The second story features Davie, a five-year-old boy who lives as a slave under the oppressive rule of a porcelain doll family. Even though the dolls do not eat, Davie is forbidden to eat the food in the house that he cleans. One day, a doll named Miss Mary Alice allows him to have a bite of fresh bread. She also tells him about a special time of year when forgiveness and friendship are encouraged. Should Davie believe Miss Mary Alice? Read and find out!

The third story is about 15-year-old Georgia. Georgia runs away from home to live in the streets and pursue her love of painting her visions on canvas. Will her love of painting be enough to allow her to survive in the streets?

The fourth story is about mothers who live to love and protect their children. In this story, Jane meets a ghost named Alice. Alice’s restless soul asks Jane to help find her baby. Will Jane be able to help Alice?

Each of these stories captivated me with the suspense of not knowing how things would turn out for the main characters. Aside from the intriguing plots, the stories had a variety of thought-provoking themes running through them. The themes included dysfunctional families, grieving, eco-friendly methods of pest control, the power of human emotion, slavery, the debunking of stereotypes of Indigenous people, the importance of following one’s passion for the arts, and dementia.

The characters were sufficiently developed in each story. The plots evolved quickly. I was in suspense during each tale. All of the endings satisfied me. The book was well edited. I found nothing to dislike. For these reasons, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

The Blandford Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Indeed, my answer to all the questions is yes. This sounds like a very interesting read; certainly, there's a lot going on in this book. I particularly enjoy books divided into short stories, and these ones sound very strange. The author must have an incredibly creative mind. Thank you, Gerry, for the very engaging review; I love your style! All the best.
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I love short stories that are thrilling. From your review, this seems to be the perfect book for me. Thanks for the engaging review!
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I definitely enjoy reading short stories and this sounds like an intriguing collection of them with a wide variety of themes of subjects. I enjoyed reading your review and am looking forward to reading your next one. Nice work, Gerry!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

This book seems so interesting. With the things you narrated in the review, yes to all of them because of how peculiar sounding they are. As an author, the best thing to do is to write short stories so that you get them over with as soon as possible. This could be true for a reader if the reader has less time. I might read it in a quiet afternoon if I do succeed to get to read it. Thank you.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Aleena Augustine »

As a fan of short stories, this collection truly appeals to me. The blend of diverse themes and intriguing plots across each tale promises an engaging reading experience. I'm particularly drawn to the unique characters and the suspenseful nature of each story. I appreciate your thorough review and will certainly consider adding this to my reading list.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

The stories in this collection seem suspenseful in different ways and the short length offers an intensity impossible in novels. They also address important themes offering food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I love the several questions you ask the reader and my answer to them is yes, I would be intrigued by them. Mostly for the girl who runs away to pursue a career in painting. Awesome review.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Renee S »

I usually enjoy short stories. I am particularly intrigued by the story of human slaves controlled by porcelain dolls. I think I would enjoy the book. Also, it is reassuring to know you found all the endings satisfactory. Thanks for your recommendation.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Sounds like a collection of very imaginative and original stories. Definitely piqued my interest. Thank you for the review.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

If you're a fan of short stories about these kinds of themes, I think this book might be right for you. From eco-conscious entomologists to ghostly quests, each tale promises intrigue and suspense. Great review as always.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

I like how you start your reviews with a question. It makes the reviews engaging. I read this book, and the stories are well-written, and I enjoyed all the stories. The author skillfully plays with the power of human emotions and brings readers to tears.
Runan
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really enjoy collections of short stories. Short stories don’t always seem to have time to properly develop the characters. I picked a collection based on a glowing recommendation and good review like yours once and I only had my suspicions confirmed. Thanks!
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great review! I enjoyed it immensely. It sounds like a very likable book, and I am thrilled it is short stories. Sometimes, one or two little short stories are all you need during the day to satisfy a reader.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”