Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath," Randy Miller, a Vietnam veteran, doesn't just tell a tale; he unveils an epic saga, exposing the heart-wrenching struggles of the Vietnam Blue Water Navy Veterans. He shines a light on the unjust VA policies that callously denied compensation and healthcare benefits to those exposed to the ravages of Agent Orange—a toxic herbicide wielded during the Vietnam War, which inflicted lasting harm on Vietnamese civilians and U.S. military personnel alike.

At the heart of the fictional narrative beats the captivating story of Zack, a spirited 17-year-old from a Vermont dairy farm, thirsting for adventure. Joining the Navy, Zack finds himself aboard the USS Hawke DD 894, where he learns the intricacies of shipboard life under the guidance of Michael J. Howell. The Hawke gets redirected to Vietnam's turbulent waters. Zack personifies unyielding spirit and unwavering courage, epitomizing the resilience of naval personnel confronting adversity head-on. The book highlights the unbreakable bond among servicemen, portraying them as a united brotherhood who answered the call of duty with unwavering honor.

Miller's storytelling left me deeply enriched, immersing me in the trials and tribulations of those in service and the anxious anticipation of their loved ones at home. Zack's tender letters to his soulmate, Tally, poignantly convey the hardships of the war, yet their unwavering love provides solace and resilience. Miller's vivid descriptions thrust readers into the heart of the action, portraying military tactics and effectively conveying the mental and physical exhaustion experienced as Zack and his comrades navigate the deadly waters of combat. I thoroughly enjoyed the book's inclusion of hymns from the U.S. Navy, which evoke divine protection and guidance.

While I have no reservations about this book, I acknowledge that it's not a light read. It requires dedication and time, as the terms employed can be intricate. Nevertheless, the inclusion of two glossaries at the book's end—one translating Vermont colloquialisms to standard English and the other deciphering technical terms and Navy slang used in Vietnam—enhances clarity significantly.

The characters are depicted with authenticity, and the editing is polished, with only minor errors that do not detract from the overall quality. In conclusion, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

This well-written and well-researched historical novel powerfully underscores the devastating impact of chemical warfare while honoring the often-overlooked sacrifices of veterans—many of whom were scarcely more than children from disadvantaged backgrounds. Yet, upon their return home, they faced psychological, emotional, and physical damage, only to be met with neglect and abandonment by the very country they served.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-lisa-anyango.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango »

The Vietnam War was baseless a common phrase. Am glad the author exposed some of the things that happened during the war and its true that people in service experience alot of challenges. I also enjoyed your review.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I like reading intense emotional tales. I believe I would enjoy this story. Soldiers are dedicated individuals who sacrifice a lot for their country, and I have the utmost respect for them. Thanks for the detailed review of this book.
Runan
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

This fictional narrative has a lot of important and thought provoking messages in it. War is terrible. And the collateral damage is infinite. It is commendable that this story exposes the brutality of the Vietnam war and the neglectful stance of Veterans' Affairs in regards to supporting the needs of the returning veterans who sacrificed and lost so much. I want to know more about the united brotherhood of the navy personel and the use of agent orange herbicide. Your review shows that my quest for more knowledge of the Vietnam War and its effects will be answered by this book. Thank you for this well-written and informative review. :techie-studyinggray:
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. I am a lover of historical fiction, and I do like to learn more about history, but I am a little deterred by the weight of this read. It sounds like there are some very important messages that come out of this book and how veterans have been treated though.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”