Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: The Blackened Yonder by Justin R. Gibson
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 230%

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin is a memoir that's as much about the journey as it is about the destination. It's a tale of adventure, family, and the healing power of travel, all set against the backdrop of a sailing trip from South Africa to the Caribbean.

Tina Dreffin tells her story with a raw honesty that's both refreshing and compelling. She doesn't shy away from the tough stuff—mental illness, sexual assault, the loss of a child, and the challenges of motherhood are all topics she tackles head-on.

The memoir starts with an adventurous safari through Africa, which is as thrilling as it is introspective. Dreffin reflects on her life's challenges and how choosing a life at sea with her husband and sons has brought both escape and confrontation with her past. The safari scenes are vivid and full of life, making you feel like you're right there, spotting elephants and leopards alongside the Dreffin family.

Once the family sets sail, the adventure really begins. From rogue waves to close encounters with sharks, the ocean brings its own set of challenges and dangers. But it's not all about the perils. Dreffin's descriptions of the natural world are nothing short of poetic, and her love for the sea and its creatures shines through every page.

However, no book is perfect, and "Bluewater Walkabout" has its shortcomings. I feel the narrative gets a bit disjointed at times as Dreffin jumps between past and present, land and sea, which can confuse readers. Additionally, while the memoir is rich with emotional depth, it occasionally lacks the dramatic tension that could take it to the next level. For instance, the account of one of the boys having a manic episode due to undiagnosed bipolar disorder is mentioned but not fully explored, which feels like a missed opportunity to delve deeper into the family dynamics. I found no errors, though. 

In terms of rating, I'd give "Bluewater Walkabout" a solid 4 out of 5 stars, taking a star for the above reasons. It's a heartfelt memoir that offers a unique glimpse into a family's life at sea and their encounters with the wild, both external and internal. It's definitely worth a read, especially if you're drawn to stories of personal growth and resilience. Just be prepared for a narrative that sails smoothly in some parts and hits choppy waters in others.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tijesuni Ayobami
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tijesuni-ayobami.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Tijesuni Ayobami »

Great review. I totally enjoyed the nuance and vivid explanations and now I'll try to read this book. Thanks for writing it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”