Review of If... and other stories

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of If... and other stories

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "If... and other stories" by Claire Frieze.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If... and other stories by Claire Frieze focus on the women who suffer the most in society due to the norms, practices, and traditions of society. This does show the sympathetic and compassionate side of Claire Frieze as an author and as an advocate of social reformation.

If you are either an avid reader of genetic engineering books or hold an interest in this field, this book does have a very tantalising introduction for you. The very first story,”If” deals with the matter of having an infant with the best genes. Very interestingly, at the same time, it brings about a climax in the story, which is that that child has to be kidnapped for this sake. This means that, right from the start, as a reader, you will enjoy an unexpected twist, mystery, and a bit of science in it. As a reader, it is an awakening call for me about the future of humanity with regard to genetic engineering. It clearly gives an idea of how far, as humans, we can go in getting ideal genes for our coming generations. Therefore, the writer intelligently and implicitly brings to our attention ethical concerns related to genetic engineering.

The book shows the multidimensional personality of Claire Frieze as an author. How Claire Frieze has been able to develop six different stories into one single book can only be revealed once you read the book. I am greatly inspired by the versatility of Claire Frieze's writing style. He has narrated all these different stories as a coherent whole. The main character whom he has focused on is a woman, and all the topics are highly relevant to society. Each story gives a moral lesson that is implicitly stated. The book provides insight into increases in awareness, job relocation and family issues, gender empowerment, power imbalances, and control.

Although all six stories are highly engaging and have their own unique beauty, the very first story, is my favourite one because it carries an unexpected twist in it, which provided me with enough stimulation to embark on a passionate reading venture with this book.

The women are the central characters in the book. However, if some of the stories dealt with issues related to men, they would have gained more global appeal and reach. This is an area that I think the writer could have thought about.

As for the writing style of the book, it was highly engaging and thrilling. As a reader, you will not lose interest in the book, even moving from one story to another. Because on one side of the continuum, the context is different in each story, but on the other side of the continuum, the coherence between stories is maintained through their overall message. Moreover, Claire Frieze’s depth of storywriting can be experienced wonderfully through her exceptional description of multidimensional characters who become very visual and clear for the reader. As you keep reading the stories, you really feel like you are being personally introduced to these characters, as if you know them personally.

The language used in the book is reasonably simple and elegant. I did not find any problem with understanding any sentences. Therefore, I think it is suitable for all levels of readers. One can experience great flow in reading due to this simplicity. How beautiful it is that, although all six stories are different, as a reader, you will not lose rhythm, momentum, or flow while reading. This is so because the challenge brought about beautifully in the book has been beautifully overcome by the ease introduced by the simple language and unified theme of the book. With this, you are given the ability to be disconnected and connected with all stories at the same time.

There are slight references to sex, violence, and abuse, and there are also some swear words, but I did not find all of them very offensive. However, I still recommend this book for reading to children over the age of 16.

The book has been written very conscientiously and meticulously. I can see from the editing that the author has given great attention to detail. I did not find any serious spelling, grammatical, or other errors in this book. For me, it was very professionally edited. Based on all the above-mentioned positive factors, I would give it a five-star rating. It is, for sure, a standout thriller in the genre.

If... and other stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are relevant to the current human issue. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

I think this book highlights precisely what we should all expectvin the near future. People cloning each other, individuals modifying their own genes for survival or just merely looking good. Sounds like a good book and I would not mind getting my hands on such a copy. Science is really moving towards proving that THEY are gods.
Be yourself and nothing less
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review of *If... and other stories* by Claire Frieze highlights the author's compassionate portrayal of women's struggles in society. The reviewer appreciates Frieze's ability to weave together six different stories into one cohesive narrative, with each story offering a moral lesson and addressing relevant societal issues. They particularly enjoyed the unexpected twists and ethical considerations in the first story, "If," which delves into genetic engineering.

While the reviewer acknowledges the engaging writing style and the coherence between stories, they suggest that including issues related to men could enhance the book's global appeal. They also note that the language used is simple and elegant, suitable for readers of all levels. Despite slight references to sensitive topics, they recommend the book for readers over the age of 16.

Overall, the reviewer finds the book professionally edited and deserving of a five-star rating, describing it as a standout thriller in its genre.
Tomi Ahmed
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I appreciate the author for choosing a very relevant topic for his work.
Thanks for the review. I agree with your opinion when you said, "If some of the stories dealt with issues related to men, they would have gained more global appeal and reach."
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I love to read short stories and I am very interested in genetics. Reading your review strengthened my desire to read this book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Well, it seems different issues adddressed through six stories. Intelligence of author shows out, when they are able to deliver different shades in single book.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Towne Point Mall
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 64%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I'm a fan of short stories, especially ones with a twist. This collection sounds like it might raise questions about morals and ethics, so it seems really fascinating. Thanks for introducing me to this book.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi

Post by Marina Flisvou »

I wholeheartedly agree with your review of Claire Frieze's ability to weave together multiple stories with a coherent thread, focusing on the plight and strength of women in various societal contexts. The versatility in her writing and the depth with which she portrays her characters are indeed commendable. The way she addresses complex issues such as genetic engineering, ethical concerns, and gender empowerment through her narratives is both thought-provoking and compelling.
Marina
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review gives me the impression that six well-written stories are used to conveys the issues of genetic engineering. If one is interested in this topic, they should read this book. I am curious to see how the author portrays the women who suffer the most. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

The book sounds interesting .
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

This book does sound slightly engaging.
However, I do not enjoy the concept of genetic engineering, nor do I enjoy topics that are feminine-focused.
The first story, despite my preferences, " If" does sound thrilling.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is a beautiful review. You make it so easy to want to get the book . I love books like this about change and woman reforming and conquering the worst. Facing adversity is a sensitive struggle but a woman who conquers it fascinates me. This is a personal must read for me . I'm ready for it. Well done on your review
Be yourself and nothing less
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

A collection of stories with a woman as their protagonist that address issues that are important in our society is certainly interesting. We claim our society is egalitarian but there's still sexism, so a woman's point of view is important. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”