Review of "Dumb" Orphans

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Palfree
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Crystal Orb by Evangeline Greene

Review of "Dumb" Orphans

Post by Palfree »

[Following is a volunteer review of ""Dumb" Orphans" by Allan Low.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Join the Bundu Bunch on all their adventures! “Dumb” Orphans by Allan Low is a children’s book that tells the story of a group of children orphaned by the AIDS epidemic in Africa. The children are young and excited to start school. When they are orphaned, they are denied the opportunity for an education. They live together in the orphan hut with a teenage caretaker named Aiyaasha. They are given chores to do by the leader of the community. They quickly become known as the dumb orphans because of their lack of education. However, the children will prove that they are actually more intelligent than many of the adults!

“Dumb” Orphans has many plot twists. I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next. I was impressed that each child had their own job to do within the group. When a problem presented itself, the whole group would rely on the strengths of all of the children to come up with a solution. The ultimate goal of the orphans is to get as much education as possible.

I like the way Mr. Low transitioned the characters from one phase of life to the next. The book is separated into three sections. The first part deals with the childhood of each character. In part two, the group enters the teen years. The final part tells the reader what happens when they become adults.

I really enjoyed this book. It gave me a greater appreciation for how difficult It is for some people to meet their basic needs. The reader could easily relate to the thoughts and feelings of each character. I cheered for the children each time they successfully met a challenge.The author did a good job defining terms that might be unfamiliar. The illustrator effectively depicted key scenes in the story, I would recommend “Dumb” Orphans to both children and adults. I give this book an enthusiastic 5 out of 5 stars.

"Dumb" Orphans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Parida Ida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
2024 Reading Goal: 36
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Parida Ida »

Discussing about the specific roles each child plays, would be interesting. The idea that each child has a specific role in the group creates goals and fosters teamwork. This highlights the importance of individual contributions to collective success. I'm always love the book about child growth, and I would like to read this book. Thanks for your review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It’s too bad that these children were considered “dumb” by the townspeople when they clearly were not. It takes more than a formal education to be able to get along in the world. I hope that they can prove themselves to others. Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”