Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daberechi Precious
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Daberechi Precious »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath. Readers are transported into a gripping historical fiction narrative centred around the aftermath of the Vietnam War. Through the eyes of protagonist Zachariah Martin, the book delves into the harrowing experiences of Vietnam navy sailors, particularly their struggles with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs over compensation for Agent Orange-related illnesses. Set against the backdrop of post-war America, this novel offers a poignant exploration of love, friendship, and loyalty amidst betrayal and bureaucratic negligence.

The narrative begins with Zachariah Martin's enlistment into the Navy at the tender age of 17, leaving behind his family and beloved girlfriend, Tally, to serve his country in Vietnam. As Zachariah navigates the complexities of war, honing his skills as a sailor and gunman, he remains steadfast in his optimism for a better future. However, upon returning home to rural Vermont, Zachariah's dreams of reuniting with his loved ones are shattered when he and his fellow sailors are denied compensation for illnesses caused by Agent Orange exposure.

The authenticity of the characters and the vivid portrayal of historical events lend depth and realism to the narrative. Zachariah's unwavering courage and the support of his loved ones, particularly Tally, resonate deeply, showcasing the enduring power of love and sacrifice. The inclusion of period-accurate dialogue adds an immersive touch to the storytelling, offering readers a glimpse into the language and culture of the 1960s. Additionally, the thematic exploration of government betrayal and the struggles of returning veterans adds a layer of social commentary that prompts reflection and empathy. I also love the suspense in this book; I was in shock all through my read.

Having read this book, I found no errors whatsoever but had some dislike, which was not enough to remove a star from this book. I really didn't like the violent nature of this book; I felt so emotional and traumatised, although some readers would love it.

I will give this book 5 out of 5 stars. This book is a compelling read that will resonate, which I recommend to fans of historical fiction and those interested in the Vietnam War era.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

I was captivated by the harrowing experiences of Zachariah Martin and his fellow sailors in ‘Deadly Waters.’ The author’s attention to detail and immersive storytelling had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Great book I must say and I highly recommend
Dominico Emezuru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dominico Emezuru »

A masterclass in storytelling that will inspire and captivate both avid readers and literary enthusiasts alike.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”