Review of My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renee S
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of My Trip To Adele

Post by Renee S »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"My Trip to Adele" is a book penned by authors R.I. Alyaseer and A.I. Alyaseer, who are siblings from Jordan. It tells the story of three different people from three distinct nationalities and cultures who are drawn to something common: an Adele concert in Verona.

Elias is a Moroccan residing in Rome. He learns that he was the target of a black magic spell, but he starts to wonder if that's really why he ended things with Malika, his long-lost love. After being apart for eight years, he sets out to find her by traveling to Marrakesh.

Nadia, a single mother from Jordan, is entangled in a legal battle with her ex-husband, trying hard to secure freedom for herself and her son. She wishes to take her son to witness his idol, Adele, perform live.

Lastly, Yaser, a married man residing in Las Vegas, realizes that his marriage feels suffocating, akin to a slow, agonizing demise. He initiates a rebellion against his wife.

On their journey to free themselves from their burdens, these three people discover hard realities about fate, religion, bravery, desire, and guilt. The narrative alternates between their perspectives. This initially confused me because the three narratives did not seem to relate or have a flow, but as I progressed, it made sense. Each chapter is titled after an Adele song and features relevant lyrics at the chapter's end, which I think is quite creative for the authors.

From the book, especially Nadia’s story, I learned a thing or two about the culture and traditions of Jordan. For instance, I learned that mansaf is the quintessential Jordanian dish. “It consists of a thin layer of traditional bread spread across the bottom of a serving dish, with rice, meat, and a special yoghurt made solely for this dish, which is poured over the rice. On top of the pile of rice, the sheep’s head is given pride of place. The head is a symbol of respect and pride, and only the elders of the family have the honor of eating it.”

Another thing is that gunshots are fired into the air at weddings to honor the groom. The more shots fired, the greater the celebration, and the more esteemed the shooter appears.

While I enjoyed Nadia's and Elias's stories, in Yaser's narrative, I found some of the dialogues to be off-putting and immature. For example, he questions whether women are inherently ungrateful and struggle to understand relationships' complexities. Additionally, he expresses disbelief in God because God would give him a wife with whom he feels unhappy and unable to communicate.

Furthermore, the absence of a table of contents with chapter names and page numbers was a drawback for me. I also noticed a few grammatical errors throughout the book.

Despite the above, "My Trip to Adele" is still an enjoyable read. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend it to readers who enjoy contemporary romance novels with multi-cultural themes. It may appeal to those interested in stories that explore relationships, personal growth, and love across different cultures and backgrounds. Additionally, fans of Adele's music may enjoy the book, for it incorporates her song titles and lyrics into the narrative.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

it is interesting that a well-written book would omit chapter names and page numbers. I wonder why? I have come across a few books like that. I prefer to have chapter names so that I can mentally prepare for what is coming next. The page numbers help me remember where I need to resume the book. However, this book still intrigues me. Thank you for this thorough and honest review. :techie-studyinggray:
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I hadn't appreciated how much information there was about other cultures in this book, which does increase my interest in it. I do like it when a plot can make sense of disparate characters and how they come together. This seems like it could be an interesting read for me.
Renee S
Currently Reading:

Post by Renee S »

Gerry Steen wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 08:36 it is interesting that a well-written book would omit chapter names and page numbers. I wonder why? I have come across a few books like that. I prefer to have chapter names so that I can mentally prepare for what is coming next. The page numbers help me remember where I need to resume the book. However, this book still intrigues me. Thank you for this thorough and honest review. :techie-studyinggray:
There seems to be a confusion. The book does have chapter names and page numbers but my concern was that a table of content was missing at the beginning. Typically, I glance at the table of contents before diving into a book. It helps me gauge the number of chapters, their titles, and page numbers, giving me a sense of the content and extent of what I'll be reading.
Renee S
Currently Reading:

Post by Renee S »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 15:08 Thank you for your thoughtful review. I hadn't appreciated how much information there was about other cultures in this book, which does increase my interest in it. I do like it when a plot can make sense of disparate characters and how they come together. This seems like it could be an interesting read for me.
Exploring diverse cultures within a narrative can truly enrich the reading experience. The way characters from different backgrounds converge in a meaningful plot can indeed be fascinating. I hope you enjoy this book. Happy reading! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”