Review by JHeileman -- Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JHeileman
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Favorite Book: Hollows Series
Currently Reading: Expected Returns On Major Asset Classes
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jheileman.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4193

Review by JHeileman -- Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris

Post by JHeileman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It took me a while to put into words all of the emotions that this story caused to rise up in me. Breaking Sandcastles is the love story we all seek in our own lives with a strong bite that reminds us of the tragedies life seasons on us along the way. Breaking Sandcastles made me believe that I am human enough to fight in my own daily struggles and persevere like the characters, Marion Kelly and Jonathan Duquesne. In each moment, that could be described as make or break moments, they prove how to be defined by more than their circumstances.

This book takes place in two different parts of the world, America and France. As an American, who hasn't traveled much, I felt as if I was experiencing its allure dancing across the pages. It didn't surprise me to learn the author, Mr Burns, enjoys his fair share of traveling. He described foods and culture in ways that sounded glamorous... even things that had ingredients I would NEVER eat!

Miss Marion Kelly is an art teacher who meets a student, who she finds exceptionally gifted with natural talent, just before his college years. They have a very magnetic connection that continues to draw them to each other. Even though they find joy in each other's company; Marion feels insecure and conflicted about their age Gap. I found it warming that he did ALL he could to let her know she was the ONLY ONE who existed in his eyes. I would crave such a romance.

Adversity threatens them and rears its head in some ugly ways, but love has a tendency to draw people closer or push each other away. Marion struggles with her own mind as she continually tells herself all the reasons why it will never work. She allows herself to believe she can live in the moment so that she doesn't have to think of the inevitable end she's convinced is coming. After all, a little fun never hurt anyone... Dating a younger guy would be challenging, but it speaks strongly that Jonathan is, mentally, more mature than most young men around his age.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it made me hope and feel that love is still very real. I felt the characters' personalities and emotions as if I'd known them in my own life. I hope to have a life full of adventure just like Marion and Jonathan. I LOVE BREAKING SANDCASTLES!

Breaking Sandcastles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JHeileman's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”