Review by Serina Vitrino -- Escape by Belle Ami

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Serina Vitrino
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serina-vitrino.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Review by Serina Vitrino -- Escape by Belle Ami

Post by Serina Vitrino »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Belle Ami’s novel, Escape (Tip of the Spear Part One), is a fast-paced read, rich with espionage and romance. Young Layla Rose Wallace is a dedicated Harvard student who is smitten with her Saudi boyfriend. On a trip to meet his wealthy parents in Dubai, the couple is kidnapped and ransomed. Imprisoned in hostile Tehran, Layla is alone and helpless- until the handsome, skilled spy Cyrus Hassani arrives on a mission to save her. In a mad race to escape the dangerous country, the two must confront constant danger, their inner demons, and their intense attraction to one another.

I liked how Belle Ami brought life to the two central characters. Layla, the damsel in distress, has palpable chemistry with the hardened, yet sensitive, Cyrus. Romance fans will no doubt root wholeheartedly for the couple. In order to increase suspense, the author cleverly inserts scenes of Israel's government attempting to help the two escape. Ami takes care not to abandon important characterization and exposition for the sake of steamy scenes, which often happens in similar romance novels. The optimistic ending wrapped the story up nicely.

I disliked how Iranian men are indiscriminately portrayed as heartless criminals and the women are, at best, called “exotic”. Ami's disparaging portrayal of Iran and its’ people made me uncomfortable. It was also distracting because the book is supposed to be a romance, not a political work. The author romanticizes the conflicts between Israel, Iran, Russia, and the U.S., which might offend some readers. A minor inconsistency was Cyrus’ dialect; he frequently employs American slang, despite being a native Iranian since birth.

The book does not have any notable grammar mistakes. However, the paragraphs are dense. There are also many run-on sentences. These components slow the book down at times.

I recommend this story to mature adult readers with a passion for romance. If you don’t like books that frequently refer to “loins”, it is not for you! I would also like to warn readers that there are instances of attempted rape and violence in the book. The happy ending is sure to inspire satisfaction. Those who enjoy the book will be happy to know that this story is merely the first in the series.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is apparent the author did extensive research into the Middle East, but the plot has no warmth. I wish Ami put as much heart into the forgettable story as she did into the characters.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Serina Vitrino's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”