Review by Emilyflint -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Emilyflint -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Emilyflint »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Veterans Day by J.J. Jorgen is a crime and mystery book. Mary Jane is a private detective who used to be a cop. Mary Jane's ex partner seems to have committed suicide, but left clues to his most recent case that only Mary can find. Davy's last case is so full of twists and turns that Mary can hardly believe it. As she looks into his case and apparent suicide more, Mary comes to realize that she is in far deeper than she could have imagined. With the possibility of conspiracy between local government, government awarded contracts, and the Veteran's Affairs offices, Mary Jane needs to utilize every resource possible. Will Mary Jane be able to help Davy and solve his last case before she becomes the next "suicide"?

The book opens with the main character, Mary Jane Morris, writing her obituary while waiting for her killers. It follows her investigation of her ex partner's last case. She is seen utilizing her roommates investigative journalism skills along with various veterans and her boyfriend who is a Doctor. She finds herself up against a far more cunning and brutal opponent than she realizes.

The way that this book opens, with Mary Jane writing her obituary, left me a bit confused for a while. For some reason, I thought for sure that she was going to die in the book. I thought that maybe she would die and her friends would take up her case as well. After I realized what was going to happen, it all made sense to me. I do not know if that is how the author wanted you to feel or if it was just me.

I absolute love that the main character is a strong female and knows who she is. She is also very sure of herself and confident in her abilities. She is seen as an independent woman who knows that when she needs help, all she has to do is reach out for it. She is not a helpless person who needs a supporting character to state the obvious or to be her sounding board. There are a lot of supporting characters that give this book great depth and add to it. From her roommate, a newspaper writer, to a paralyzed vet, and her boyfriend, to name a few. Without these characters, the book could have been okay, but with them in it, the book is great!

There were some disappointments for me in the book. The book started out so strong, without a lot of grammatical mistakes and errors, but as it went on, it seems that they appeared more often. It went from maybe a couple within the first half of the book to one almost every other page. It made me feel as of the author was rushing to finish this and wasn't able to give it their full attention. Also, the ending of the book seemed extremely anti climatic, especially with how deep and life threatening the whole case was.

I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I could not give it a full 4 stars because of the disappointing ending and the crazy grammar mistakes. Although, I would happily read this book again and look forward to reading more from this author and this series.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emilyflint's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”