Review of The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Astillberry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-astillberry.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel

Post by Emily Astillberry »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Golden Manuscripts by Evy Journey had me hooked from the start. Her writing style is absorbing and flows effortlessly across the page. I found the characters engaging and each time that I picked up the book, it felt like snuggling back into a comfy pair of slippers and I wanted to curl up in a cosy chair and be by myself, taking time to read, time just for me.

The novel follows Clarissa Martinez, an Art grad student of mixed heritage who has travelled the world and lived in many different cities and countries but who is currently estranged from both of her parents and having trouble finding a place that she can call her home. Ultimately, she must learn to find herself and with that, the truth in the age old adage that home is where the heart is.

Clarissa is searching for a subject on which to write her thesis when she stumbles upon the mystery of two ancient illuminated manuscripts from the 9th and 15th centuries that were stolen from East Germany by an allied soldier at the end of WWII and have recently reappeared, offered for sale by an art dealer. With the help of a friend of her university professor, Clarissa determines to solve the mystery and discovers the subject for her thesis on the way.

The characters in The Golden Manuscripts are very relatable. They are not perfect, polished or unbelievably sexy. They are real people with flaws, hangups and family issues aplenty, living in the real world. I felt a genuine fondness for Clarissa, and her brother Arthur; a sadness that they had been let down by both of their parents in different ways and it impressed me no end that despite this, neither harboured overt or exaggerated animosity towards them.

The downside of real characters living in the real world is that real life action doesn't tend to be quite as exciting as one might come to expect in the world of fiction and so I'm afraid I couldn't help feeling just a little bit disappointed that the mystery wasn't quite enough of a mystery and the romance wasn't quite spicy or intense enough for me but if realism is what you want from your literature, I would highly recommend this book. I have given it a score of 4 stars out of 5. I enjoyed it very much.

The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

It sounds like an intriguing combination. Between mystery, fiction, and stories about self-discovery, it's fascinating to weave a tale around a character who lacks parental affection and finds themselves through their journey of self-discovery. It's a great review, making me even more eager to read this book.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very interesting story and your review paints a good picture for potential readers of what they can expect. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”