Review of Get Out of My Bed

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: The Aviculturist by Ann Smythe

Review of Get Out of My Bed

Post by Kristin Cowan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Get Out of My Bed" by Shirley Wooten Rose.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if the man you married became abusive? In Get Out of My Bed, Shirley Wooten Rose discusses her marriage with Tom, a man who initially is charming but over time becomes violent and aggressive. As with many abused women, Shirley struggles to cut ties, giving him too many chances and continuing a relationship with him even after separation. As with many abusers, Tom tries to win her back by overcompensating with attention, gifts, and expressions of love. She shares how she finally managed to separate herself from him and become herself again.

I appreciated the author’s directness and transparency about her experience. It is incredibly brave of her to relive her experience to help others. She talks about the early warning signs of abuse that she ignored and provides tips she learned from her own experience. She would get in trouble for the most insignificant things like forgetting to clean the top of the fridge. Examples such as this demonstrate how abuse can start small and build quickly.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. I appreciate the author’s story and advice based on her personal experience. Her advice is powerful since she can relate to her audience. The book needs a lot of editing. The author focuses on her abusive marriage and separating and later divorcing her husband for most of the book. The end of the book talks more about the financial impacts of her divorce than the relationship ending. This seemed irrelevant to the point of the book. It does show what individuals can lose when going through a divorce, but if anything, it was an argument about why to stay married.

I would recommend this book to anyone who thinks they may be in an abusive relationship, as well as for people who know someone in one. Due to adult content and profanity, I would only recommend this book to adults.

Get Out of My Bed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Grandpa Ernie's Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 100%

Post by RJ Reviews »

An honest retelling of the author's abusive marriage would definitely help people in similar conditions. Cutting ties is never easy. The societal, financial and emotional burdens are heavy. I really appreciate the author's initiative to tell her story so others can benefit from it. The editing seems to be a problem and I really wish such a helpful book will go through another round of editing. Thank you for sharing your honest review.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”