Review of EMA

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Review of EMA

Post by Sarah Zain »

[Following is a volunteer review of "EMA" by Aian D. Grey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

EMA by Aian D. Gray is a fantasy story that may be closer to the near future, with the rapid development of AI and its intersection in many fields.

The story began in 2084, when the Earth had entered a dangerous phase of climate change and AI had become an essential part of our lives. At an AI conference, Jason, an admirer and believer in EMA, attended to see Minsky, the inventor of EMA, an AI system that helps develop the economy, protect the environment, and solve the climate crisis.

In contrast to Jason's admiration, we met Lidia, who was revolted by the idea of EMA and hated Minsky. An explosion occurred at the conference, along with a series of cyber attacks at different places and times. Events that could alter the course of many people's lives have begun.

Who is behind these accidents, and why? What is Jason’s role? What is the Mobius organization, and who is Lidia? Will Jason be able to solve the mystery of these incidents? What about the environment, and how are all of these related to Minsky, his system, and the cyber attacks? All of this you will know when you grab a copy.

The story highlighted both humanity's virtues and vices. The need to control made AI entities’ misuse their power as a tool to restrict human freedom, and the others' despair at the ability of humans to change made their faith in AI blind without control under the pretext of preserving the environment from human evil, which revealed the best side of human nature, the desire for freedom of all forms.

The language used is easy, as the author mixed reality with fiction, mentioning existing entities such as Open AI and Metavers, as well as well-known characters such as Kate Raworth and Elon Mask.

The attractive factor that I liked was the author's ability to express the opinions of skeptics and supporters without imposing a specific viewpoint. His precise description of some of the radical climate changes in cities like Montreal, for example, highlights the climate crisis and the fact that change must start now.

On the other hand, the escalation of events was somehow slow until the sixth chapter, when the pace of the story began to accelerate a little. I felt that the narration went on in more detail. I know it's part of the author's way of making the information clear, but it was a bit redundant for me because, at times, it didn't help me engage with the storyline and hindered my enjoyment of the story. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars.

Regardless of the previous points, the book is a good read and sheds light on the importance of setting rules for AI entities and those controlling them around the world and on the importance of investing in people to build a better future.

The book will be an enjoyable read for all readers, starting with young adults, who will be interested in its details. Fans of fictional stories based on AI, cyber attacks, and their motives will like the twist, as will those concerned with environmental issues.

EMA
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Oh I'm excited to read this book. I'm a huge fan of AI. However, the future is unknown and slightly scary. It sounds like this book touches on very legitimate future possibilities.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 21:05 Oh I'm excited to read this book. I'm a huge fan of AI. However, the future is unknown and slightly scary. It sounds like this book touches on very legitimate future possibilities.
Indeed, Stephen, the story seems realistic in relation to the progress we see now. I was happy to read your comment, and I hope you read the book to know your opinion about it.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review of this book has piqued my interest. The use of AI and the care of the environment are two issues that I care about. This book will educate me to the issues that are important today and tomorrow. I know that the winters in Montreal have changed drastically in the past 50 years. It will be interesting to see how the author portrays Montreal. I am adding this book to my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Gerry Steen wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 17:27 Your review of this book has piqued my interest. The use of AI and the care of the environment are two issues that I care about. This book will educate me to the issues that are important today and tomorrow. I know that the winters in Montreal have changed drastically in the past 50 years. It will be interesting to see how the author portrays Montreal. I am adding this book to my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you Gerry for sharing your thoughts. I hope you get the chance to read it.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Am just guessing that the two people with very different intentions and thoughts about AI end up falling in love. I lived reading your summary, and am curious as to who blew up stuff.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Risper Ouma Anyango wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 20:53 Am just guessing that the two people with very different intentions and thoughts about AI end up falling in love. I lived reading your summary, and am curious as to who blew up stuff.
Great guessing Risper 👏🏻. It's actually part of the plot. I wish the author had developed it a little, it would have enhanced the story. Thank you for your kind words. I hope you have the chance to read the book.
Maria Lepre
Favorite Author: Umberto Eco
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-lepre.html
fav_author_id: 3190

Post by Maria Lepre »

Hi, I just finished reading this book too and I quite agree with your review, even if I wasn't bothered by the "slowness" of the first chapters, on the contrary, it helped me to better understand the plot issues . Anyways, it's a great book to read!
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Maria Lepre wrote: 01 May 2024, 09:46 Hi, I just finished reading this book too and I quite agree with your review, even if I wasn't bothered by the "slowness" of the first chapters, on the contrary, it helped me to better understand the plot issues . Anyways, it's a great book to read!
It is good that we partly agreed about the book. Feeling bored with too many details is a personal feeling, so I understand our disagreement about this part. Thank you for taking the time to read the review and for your comment.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I enjoyed reading your review very much, Sarah. You did a great job with the summary and the analysis. AI isn't really my thing, so unless the book has a strong plot, it won't keep me interested. So thanks for the heads-up.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 03 May 2024, 17:43 I enjoyed reading your review very much, Sarah. You did a great job with the summary and the analysis. AI isn't really my thing, so unless the book has a strong plot, it won't keep me interested. So thanks for the heads-up.
It's always great to read your comment, Omneya. Thank you for your kind words and constant support
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like the thought of using AI in our day-to-day lives. The only drawback that I can see to it is the possibility of human misuse. Thanks!
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 May 2024, 16:49 I really like the thought of using AI in our day-to-day lives. The only drawback that I can see to it is the possibility of human misuse. Thanks!
Thank you Amy for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

I am not surprised how AI is presented as a sign of progress in future. Thanks for your review.
Sarah Zain
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Zain »

Harty Muli wrote: 10 May 2024, 01:24 I am not surprised how AI is presented as a sign of progress in future. Thanks for your review.
Thank you Harty for stopping by and comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”