Review of Sister B

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uma gupta
Currently Reading: Broken Faith
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Review of Sister B

Post by Uma gupta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sister B" by David Charles Hart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

David Charles Hart's riveting historical fiction "Sister B" explores themes of racial injustice, resiliency, and the quest for a better life while delving into the lives of African Americans in the 1930s. The story, which is set in Mississippi and California, centers on Willie Mae, also known as Sister B, and chronicles her struggle to overcome prejudice and discrimination in order to provide a better future for her family. Hart's story is detailed and emotionally charged, providing readers with a moving and engrossing read.

"Sister B" excels at capturing the lives and experiences of its characters in exquisite detail. As Sister B faces the harsh truths of institutional oppression and sets out on a path of self-discovery and empowerment, her tenacity and fortitude are evident. Readers can relate to the characters' hardships and victories because of the complex and diverse interactions between characters like Sister B, Laura, and Hannah.

Hart's painstaking attention to historical detail is obvious throughout the book, providing a realistic basis for the plot. Real-life incidents like Clem's false charge and subsequent lynching are included to give the story more realism and give readers a firsthand grasp of the struggles that black people in this era experienced.

In terms of editing, the book has also been flawlessly edited, with no errors in grammar or spelling, which improves the reading experience.

"Sister B" is excellent in many areas, but it isn't perfect in others. The novel's pacing can be erratic at times, with some passages seeming hurried or underdeveloped. Furthermore, a few readers find the writing style excessively intricate, necessitating additional focus to completely understand the plot's subtleties.

"Sister B" illuminates a significant period in American history and is nonetheless a compelling read in spite of these small issues. Hart crafts a gripping tale that lingers in the mind long beyond the last page, thanks to his skillful storytelling and meticulous attention to detail. Even though the book has its share of flaws, they are greatly outweighed by its advantages.

In summary, "Sister B" is an outstanding piece of historical fiction that merits praise for its gripping story, colorful characters, and painstaking attention to detail. Even if it might not be flawless, its numerous advantages exceed its shortcomings. I give "Sister B" 4 out of 5 stars for great storytelling and historical realism. For those who enjoy historical fiction, it is a must-read because of the excellent editing and compelling narrative.

Sister B
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Uma gupta

Post by Uma gupta »

Thank you so much for your support and blessings i will try my best to give honest review
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Anjana Savita »

This book review skillfully navigates the complex intricacies of the story with elegant wording that enthralls. Every phrase is carefully selected to conjure up strong feelings and vivid pictures. Readers are left wanting more as it both praises and challenges the author's skill, drawing them in to explore the universe it contains.
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Anjana Savita »

This book review captivates readers with its elegant language, capturing strong emotions and vivid pictures, urging them to explore the world within its pages.
Uma gupta

Post by Uma gupta »

Anjana Savita wrote: 01 May 2024, 06:56 This book review skillfully navigates the complex intricacies of the story with elegant wording that enthralls. Every phrase is carefully selected to conjure up strong feelings and vivid pictures. Readers are left wanting more as it both praises and challenges the author's skill, drawing them in to explore the universe it contains.
Thank you so much for your support and blessings i will try to give my best to give honest review
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The story of racial discrimination, social justice, and oppression in historical fiction seems like an intriguing blend. Set against the backdrop of the United States, I believe this book could give me a deeper understanding of white American supremacy during that time. Thank you for writing this review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Maneesha Tyagi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maneesha-tyagi.html
Latest Review: My Dreams Come True by Ioan Dirina

Post by Maneesha Tyagi »

This review masterfully captures the essence of the book, eloquently dissecting its themes and characters with insightful analysis. A concise yet comprehensive assessment, highlighting both strengths and nuances.
RomeeRajput
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romeerajput.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by RomeeRajput »

Nice review I would like to read this book ..you give details of the book nicely ..you also mentioned the postive and negative aspects of book ...
AkashTyagi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akashtyagi.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by AkashTyagi »

nicely done! you perfectlnicelyy describe books positive and negative aspects i would like to read this book
Neha Shakya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-shakya.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Neha Shakya »

you did a good job in reviewing this book while you did not explain it fully you give sufficient explanation for deducted rating .i think its a good review
Anaïs Quesson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Another fascinating review, thank you, Uma. I remember how the author's attention to detail also stood out to me when reading. All historical events were really well-explained.
It was interesting reading your thoughts on this book!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”