Review of Love Letters to the Virgin Mary

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Love Letters to the Virgin Mary

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love Letters to the Virgin Mary" by David Richards.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Love Letters to the Virgin Mary is a book by David Richards about his personal journey back to religion and Jesus through love. The author experienced two significant moments during the Covid pandemic that led him to re-evaluate his beliefs. The book has five parts exploring the themes of Darkness, Faith, Hope, Love, and Heaven through a series of letters told in different voices. These letters include voices of characters such as the Spaniard from "Gladiator" and Thor from "The Avengers," as well as the author's own experiences during the pandemic.

The book spent a lot of time discussing the author's personal journey towards writing the story and completing the book. While I did not necessarily dislike this aspect, I was left confused as to the purpose of the book. Based on the cover and blurb, I expected a historical romance novel, but this was not the case. Honestly, if the blurb had accurately described the book, I would not have chosen it. Even so, I did enjoy reading the references to pop culture ("Gladiator" and "The Avengers"), as well as the author's experiences during COVID-19. However, I still found the book's ending and overall intent unclear.

I enjoyed reading Richards' discussion about his personal history and family. He gave a detailed account of his childhood, which involved moving around a lot and having many failed relationships. This account helped me understand why he wrote this piece of work. I was also impressed with his ability to use different writing styles. Perhaps because I have always been a fan of the movie "Gladiator," I could hear the voices of Maximus and Marcus Aurelius in the letters of the Spaniard. It amazed me how Richards brought these characters to life in his writing without breaking the illusion when they continued beyond the movie.

The piece contained a few errors and would have benefited from an explanation of the acronyms on their first occurrence. As a result, the book needs to go through another round of professional editing. Due to the errors and my inability to comprehend the author's intention, I would give Love Letters to the Virgin Mary a rating of four out of five stars. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs with a touch of fiction, which conveys an author's message.

Love Letters to the Virgin Mary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Attenuating Puritan by Robert McGuiness

Post by Seetha E »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book after the initial regret.
I appreciate your honesty in acknowledging that all did not go exactly as expected with the book at first. This helps alert probable readers.
Bradley Twesten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Bradley Twesten »

Great, honest review. So challenging when you get into the first few pages and get the feeling it isn't going to match the synopsis or the expectations you had going in.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Thank you for your honest review. I enjoyed the personal touch you gave it. It sounds like an interesting story. I have never read anything quite like it before. The mash-up of those particular genres is unusual.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

It is interesting and special that Richards used the voices of the Spaniard from "Gladiator" and Thor from "The Avengers." This allows us to know more about the author's personality while endearing him to us. I am curious how the Covid pandemic led him back to Jesus. Memoirs are fun because we never know what to expect. Thank you for this great review. :techie-studyinggray:
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a unique mix of fantasy characters and faith. It's certainly most intriguing, but I understand how it could leave a reader feeling confused.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very good and honest review! Like you mentioned, I too thought it would be a historical romance!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Keto kickstart by Wendy Simpson
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 580%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your detailed review. I am also a fan of the Gladiator and the Avengers. For this reason, this is not my ideal book. After your review, I have even a clearer idea of the book. Cheers
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: The Faces of Unborn Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Terry Kimble »

The title sparked my curiosity, but I am not familiar with Avengers or Gladiator, so I fear the memoir's creativity would be lost on me. However, I enjoyed reading this revealing review. :tiphat:
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Anu Anand »

Thank you for your insightful review. Your detailed analysis of the book's themes and structure provides valuable insights for potential readers. It's great to hear that you appreciated the author's personal journey and his ability to weave different writing styles.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Post by Runan »

When a book’s intention is not clear, my mind always keeps trying to figure it out and won’t concentrate on the on-going reading session much. It is distracting for me to some extent. Although the author’s personal experiences reconnecting with God are something I would enjoy reading, I might get distracted by unclear messages. Thanks for a brief and concise review.
Runan
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Renee S »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 13:48 [Following is a volunteer review of "Love Letters to the Virgin Mary" by David Richards.]

Love Letters to the Virgin Mary is a book by David Richards about his personal journey back to religion and Jesus through love. The author experienced two significant moments during the Covid pandemic that led him to re-evaluate his beliefs. The book has five parts exploring the themes of Darkness, Faith, Hope, Love, and Heaven through a series of letters told in different voices. These letters include voices of characters such as the Spaniard from "Gladiator" and Thor from "The Avengers," as well as the author's own experiences during the pandemic.
The book, delving into the themes of Darkness, Faith, Hope, Love, and Heaven through a series of letters told in different voices, does sound interesting to me. Perhaps I will read it if I get a chance. Thanks for your honest review.
A new me
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold: Remodeling your Way to Success
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-new-me.html
Latest Review: Breksta's Academy by Natasha Quay
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by A new me »

Honestly, I was attracted to the title of this novel. From your blunt and thoughtful review, I don't think I'll be reading this book because I feel I would be left disappointed afterwards. Nonetheless, thank you for this amazing review.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Seems like I am going to pass on this one. It is really difficult when you are reading a book and you can't say "this is the author's intent" Thanks for the honest review
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I can see how you'd think this could be a historical romance from the cover and title. It's disappointing when a book doesn't have a stronger intent. In my opinion, the author should make it clear that this is a personal memoir; it'll help other readers (as your review has done) choose correctly.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”