Review of The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Review of The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Belle Ami's The Girl Who Knew DaVinci is an ambitious work of historical romance. It also includes time travel and supernatural suspense. This book is written with a specific profile of the reader in mind. It is ideal for one who loves art, books previously authored by Dan Brown, Italian geography, and five-star cuisine. The descriptions of meals that protagonist Angela Renatus shared with male lead Alex Caine are rich and indulgent with adjectives. I found myself hungry each time I picked up the book! There were moments in reading in which I was tempted to categorize this book as a work of gastronomical fantasy.

Angela begins as a Los Angeles-based art historian and intern at the Getty Museum. She specializes in the High Renaissance period and focuses specifically on the life and works of Leonardo da Vinci. Following sexual harassment by her boss, she decamps for Italy at the invitation of Alex, who is investigating a missing painting while backed by vast financial resources. The story builds into a multigenerational investigation of the provenance of the missing work, culminating in major discoveries about Angela's family tree. Along the way, Angela and Alex fall into romantic love and enjoy some spicy bedroom scenes across the cities and vineyards of Italy. The romance is interspersed with subplots and high drama and ends with the climactic discovery of the missing artwork and the resolution of the spiritual unsettling of past generations.

This is a romantic and sexual book. It leans heavily on common narratives in romance.
Alex is rich and Angela is naive.
Alex has professional-level chef and military ninja skills and Angela has been sheltered.
Alex is sexually dominant and Angela shudders, swoons, and faints at least four times in this book.
There is a stereotypical aspect to the narrative along with a stilted feel to the dialogue. It feels at points as though historical dialogue was inadvertently introduced into contemporary scenes. It's difficult to imagine, for example, a modern woman turning to a man and saying "You can go back to your playboy ways." This anachronistic dialogue and plotting occasionally distracted me as a reader and is the reason I rated this book 3 out of 4.

I would read a Belle Ami book again. She adds abundant detail and writes beautifully about art, cuisine, and Italian history and culture, all of which I appreciated. Those who enjoy reading thrillers with depth and detail will derive value from this book.

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I love Italy. I have been there twice. The food is one of the great attractions of Italy as is the art and historic architecture. That being said, I think I would enjoy this book. The mystery, romance, and Italian flavors are a great combination to make the plot very interesting. Thank you for this well-written review. :techie-studyinggray:
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I love me some books that get me hungry because atleast I will have an excuse to eat. But I however love art more. I know Davinci as an artist so my guess is that he is also a character in the book.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The combination of historical fiction with romance, along with the mystery surrounding Da Vinci's painting, seems intriguing. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Ok, so I loved this book, and actually rated it as one of my top 5! Yes there were some cliches, but for me that made it easier reading, and I could focus on the fascinating connection between the three couples. Belle Ami's next book is on my must-read list and I hope to get to that shortly.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

This is my favourite book, so probably I have ignored few red flags in it. The reincarnation theme is bit tough to pull off,so the author actually did a good job here.
Dana Lawrence Lohn

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 22 May 2024, 04:40 Ok, so I loved this book, and actually rated it as one of my top 5! Yes there were some cliches, but for me that made it easier reading, and I could focus on the fascinating connection between the three couples. Belle Ami's next book is on my must-read list and I hope to get to that shortly.
Stephen I think you are (maybe secretly) a big huge romantic! It is a VERY romantic book. I want to introduce you to historical romance as a genre!!! I have suggestions for you!!!
Stephen Christopher 1

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 25 May 2024, 13:46 Stephen I think you are (maybe secretly) a big huge romantic! It is a VERY romantic book. I want to introduce you to historical romance as a genre!!! I have suggestions for you!!!
Oh I'm a huge romantic, just ask my husband! I think historical romance is awesome, I read Gone With the Wind and Wuthering Heights when I was in my late teens haha. (not first editions of course!!)
Dana Lawrence Lohn

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 25 May 2024, 20:55
Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 25 May 2024, 13:46 Stephen I think you are (maybe secretly) a big huge romantic! It is a VERY romantic book. I want to introduce you to historical romance as a genre!!! I have suggestions for you!!!
Oh I'm a huge romantic, just ask my husband! I think historical romance is awesome, I read Gone With the Wind and Wuthering Heights when I was in my late teens haha. (not first editions of course!!)
That is fabulous! Hey, Amazon just suggested the Belle Ami Caravaggio book to me and I might check it out!
Stephen Christopher 1

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 30 May 2024, 14:44
That is fabulous! Hey, Amazon just suggested the Belle Ami Caravaggio book to me and I might check it out!
yes, that's the next book and on my list; funnily enough, today I got an email from Belle Ami, the author, recommending her new book Mona Lisa's Daughter, so I'm adding that too.
Dana Lawrence Lohn

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 30 May 2024, 23:27
Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 30 May 2024, 14:44
yes, that's the next book and on my list; funnily enough, today I got an email from Belle Ami, the author, recommending her new book Mona Lisa's Daughter, so I'm adding that too.
Her email marketing is on point. I want to learn from what she’s doing for my job (financial services) because she’s extremely excellent.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”