Review of A Place Under the Sun

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Review of A Place Under the Sun

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Place Under the Sun" by Luis Urtueta.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Step into white collar politics and corporate work-life with this book. A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta revolves around Henry’s struggle for existence on a ruthless corporate battlefield. With uncertainty looming over Henry’s head and lukewarm romance in his personal life, readers travel to places along with Henry to his work destinations.

Right from the introduction, readers experience the busy work space cubicles with the author’s descriptive writing. Henry works at the Anthony Freckleman consulting firm. He is not particularly fond of his job; instead, it’s the money in his bank account that keeps him happy. Henry struggles with public speaking, which is crucial for consultancy firms.

Santiago, the boss, is known to safeguard his position at the office by throwing the blame on his juniors when a project does not work out in the company's favor. Lukas, Bibi, Henry, and Santiago represent Anthony Freckleman as a team for a project in Saudi Arabia. The company that hired them does not share any information with the team, and things only keep getting worse. Henry judges the situation and fears that Santiago will make him the scapegoat at the end of the project, which he believes would lead to losing his job at Anthony Freckleman. The only man who always has his back at the office is Bernard, but his whereabouts are unknown. In the midst of chaos, thinking about Teresa offers Henry blissful peace.

I enjoyed learning about office dynamics and consulting areas of expertise through this book. It was nice to update my knowledge about the capability staircase, which is a framework for assessing everything about a topic. The author seamlessly transitions from present to past memories of Henry. I liked this aspect a lot, along with Henry’s inner monologues. Past recollections provide a gateway for readers to learn more about Henry’s personality. Henry’s failed relationships, his current love interest, Teresa, and his lack of confidence, coupled with his struggle to adjust among his peers, add dramatic elements to an otherwise cold and dull corporate life.

Fiction novel readers and those who would like to learn about corporate life will enjoy this novel. Occasional philosophical musings and flawless editing enrich this book further. It was a delightful read for me, and I have no criticisms of any sort. I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

A Place Under the Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I enjoyed your review and one thing caught my eye and that is that Henry is not good at speaking and only the money keeps him at his job. Most people actually only work because they need the money.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This book does not sound like my cup of tea, but I am glad that you enjoyed reading it! Your review is well-written and gives potential readers a good idea of what to expect. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Julie Basil wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 20:54 This book does not sound like my cup of tea, but I am glad that you enjoyed reading it! Your review is well-written and gives potential readers a good idea of what to expect. Keep up the good work!
Thank you for your kind comments. :tiphat:
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Risper Ouma Anyango wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 02:09 I enjoyed your review and one thing caught my eye and that is that Henry is not good at speaking and only the money keeps him at his job. Most people actually only work because they need the money.
I agree with you. It’s the reality for many people around the world. Thank you for stopping by and reading my review.
Runan

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”