Review of Not What Meets the Eye

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

Review of Not What Meets the Eye

Post by Kelsey Roy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not What Meets the Eye" by Matrika Hay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Not What Meets the Eye is a historical fiction novel by Matrika Hay. The story follows Antosha Scarlett, a professional archeologist, as she embarks on her dream dig at the Lost City of Shian. Antosha's parents were archeologists before she lost them at a young age, and she decided to follow in their footsteps. Antosha faces many dangers on this journey, and it appears that someone wants her dead. Assisted by a mysterious stranger, Antosha feels safe in the presence of Nathious Swanson. Will Antosha reach the dig site of Shian safely and fulfill her dream of working with the world-renowned Tombask Wilshire?

My favorite part of this lengthy novel was the multiple perspectives. The story bounces around a bit in timeframes and narrators, which can be slightly confusing but helps to develop an intricate storyline. There are scenes that flashback to Antosha's childhood, diary excerpts from her father, and varying perspectives of current scenes as they occur, both from Antosha and those who threaten her.

One thing that confused me throughout the book was the fantasy setting. OBC lists this novel as historical fiction, and it does read like a book in the said genre, but the territory that Antosha travels to is fictional. Additionally, the characters have certain powers related to tattoos on their wrists. I enjoyed this aspect, but it took several chapters to sort out the setting.

My only dislike of this book is the errors I found throughout the text. The novel needs an additional round of editing. Overall, I rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. I liked the detail within the storyline, as the changing perspective and timeline added depth to the story. Furthermore, Antosha's life is full of action, emotion, and mystery, which kept me intrigued throughout the chapters.

I recommend this novel to readers interested in unraveling a mystery. I had questions about the ending of the book right up until the last page. I was surprised several times throughout the book. Readers interested in archeology and history will enjoy this book, although it does have a fantasy element. There are several instances of violence throughout the story, so I caution young readers from choosing this novel.

Not What Meets the Eye
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”