Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Olympus Bound by Zoë Routh

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Washington, D.C., is under surreptitious attack by a secretly running terrorist recruiting team. Terrorists are being recruited via the internet. Glenn Patterson, who owns a private investigative company, Fairfax Investigative, is known to have the latest and most efficacious technologies to unravel the terrorists' plot. Glenn finds out, and he's meeting with one of his important team members, Cynthia Patterson, to discuss the best tactics and approach to attack the terrorists. Both discovered that more hands are needed to meet the technological skills needed, and two college students who are computer geniuses are deemed fit. Cynthia, on her own, proves competent through her professionalism and security expertise, working as the bodyguard for the country’s senator, Mike McBride. However, at a point not long into the plan, Cynthia fell head over heels for a stranger, even at an ominous event, which could have served as an opportunity to easily trace the identified terrorists when a strange drone landed on the lawn of the White House. This sudden change in Cynthia's attitude left the success of the plan at hand more uncertain and even dangerous to the Fairfax team.

"Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer is a science fiction story that narrates the conflicting roles of Cynthia in the heat of terrorists' plot against America. The story mixes romance, action, and modern technologies and lifestyles to create a story setting that could resonate with a wider reader audience.

The book is written interestingly, which is evident in the thrilling tone and clear writing style. It succeeds in describing scenes and characters, allowing me to vividly envision the scenes playing out in my head. The story is also suspenseful for me, which is one of the elements that keeps me engaged while reading. What I love most about this book is its light read and the thrills that characterize the narrative. The book describes the main character, Cynthia, so well that I feel like I could easily recognize her if I saw her in person; the author's narrative prowess is superb. I appreciate how the book portrays a female character excelling in a male-dominated role. This quality serves as a reminder to other female readers that they can also transcend societal stereotypes and expectations regarding their roles.

What I don't like about this book is how the author didn't fully develop Dan's character. Cynthia and Dan are lovers, both in a romantic relationship with each other, but their work creates a barrier to their supposed intimacy. I expected that they would soon resolve their differences and allow their love to blossom, as it was earlier described as having the potential to do so in the long run. I felt for Dan when Cynthia quickly forgot about him and pursued a relationship with a stranger without Dan ever coming between them. Due to this dissatisfaction, I would like to deduct a star and rate the book 4 out of 5 stars.

The book is exceptionally well edited; I didn't find any grammar errors in it. For lovers of romantic stories with a touch of modern-day realities about life, such as decisions in love and professional passions, I highly recommend this book.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your insightful review. I also appreciated the strength of Cynthia’s character description of her in her role in a male dominated arena. However, did you find that all disappeared when it came to her romantic relationships?
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I enjoyed reading your review and Cynthia seems to have a strong character development. I always thought that Dan would also play a big role in the book given that both their names contribute to the title of the book. Unfortunately, as you mentioned Dan is left out. I haven't read this book yet though
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Opportunity Taken by R. W. Frazier
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I agree with your analysis of the character of Dan and wonder why his name was even part of the title. I disliked Cynthia because of the way she treated him.
Dani Elle Ele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: It Was What It Was by Daniel Pace

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

I liked your review, and it seems like Cynthia's character grows a lot. I thought Dan would have a significant part in the book since both their names are in the title, but as you said, he's not included much. I haven't read the book yet, though.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

The suspenseful tone of the story adds an extra layer of intrigue, keeping readers on the edge of their seats. It’s impressive how the author maintains this tension throughout the narrative, making it difficult to put the book down.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

Nice review. The character development was to me and very unrealistic. Nevertheless the book was quite interesting. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

Since I joined OBC, I've never been opportuned to read this book, however I can count the number of times I've read people's review of this book. It's a wonderful book and I hope to read it soon.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts by John Mitchell

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

Cynthia's unexpected infatuation poses a new challenge, raising concerns about her commitment to the mission's success and the safety of the team and their objectives.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

The sudden personal distraction faced by Cynthia jeopardizes the success of the plan and poses a significant risk to the Fairfax team's safety and the security of Washington, D.C.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”