Review of I Wonder Why It's Christmas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Review of I Wonder Why It's Christmas

Post by williams Emerald »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Wonder Why It's Christmas" by Esther Ekunola.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“I Wonder Why It’s Christmas” by Esther Ekunola is a delightful children’s book that beautifully captures the magic and origins of the Christmas celebration. Ekunola intriguingly narrates the timeless story of Mary and the angel’s visit. The angel informed Mary that she would bear a son named Jesus, who would be a great king, and his kingdom would last forever. Mary, initially surprised, questioned how she could conceive a child since she was not yet married to her fiancé, Joseph. The angel reassured her that, with God, all things are possible. Despite Joseph’s initial doubts upon learning of Mary’s pregnancy, he received guidance from an angel in his dream, instructing him to marry Mary and affirming that her son was the son of God, who would save people from their sins. This portrayal highlights their obedience to God’s word and the divine plan, illustrating the power of faith and trust in the face of uncertainty.

The book also recounts the appearance of the angel of God to the shepherds, who were keeping watch over their flocks by night in the fields. Initially filled with fear, the angel reassured them and shared the wonderful news of the birth of Jesus Christ. The shepherds then journeyed to the manger, where Jesus lay, and afterwards spread the news throughout the town. Meanwhile, in a distant city, three wise men observed a new star, brighter than others, signifying something special had occurred. Recognising it as a sign of a new ruler’s birth, they embarked on a journey, following the star through the night sky until they reached Bethlehem. There, they presented gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to baby Jesus, kneeling before him in reverence. Through these illustrations, the themes of divine revelation, guidance, and the recognition of Jesus significance are vividly portrayed.

The incorporation of Bible verses lends authenticity to the narrative, while the inclusion of pictorial illustrations enhances the reading experience, making it engaging for young readers. The author’s use of interactive questions encourages active participation and comprehension, further enriching the learning process.

“I Wonder Why It’s Christmas” is flawlessly edited, ensuring a seamless reading experience without any errors. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would happily gift it to children aged four and above. Not only does it educate about the significance of Christmas, but it also fosters an appreciation for the message of love and salvation embodied in the season. The book beautifully portrays the belief that Jesus was born to save the world and die for our sins, clarifying the reason for Christmas celebration: to rejoice in His profound sacrifice. I appreciate the simplicity and clarity of the book, and I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. There’s absolutely nothing to dislike about it. While non-Christians who do not believe in the birth or existence of Jesus Christ may not find the book appealing, I'd still recommend the book to anyone curious about the origins, customs, and cultural significance of Christmas, regardless of their religious affiliation. It’s great for those who enjoy exploring the historical and social aspects of holidays.

I Wonder Why It's Christmas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

From your review, I gather that this is a wonderful children's book about the story of Christmas. Since I was a child, I have always felt peace and joy whenever I saw the Nativity Scene with Jesus in the manger, Mary and Joseph, the shepherds and the three wisemen. This book allows the children to feel the same peace and joy. Thanks for the great review. :techie-studyinggray:
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

There are so many myths about Christmas that its history is jumbled up in most children's minds. It's good that this author saw it fit to write about this to help children understand better.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

It's been long I came across books like this. I must say the plot is engaging and charming. Your review is also well detailed. Kudos. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Badger Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badger-martin.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Badger Martin »

This is an insightful children's book that discussed the beauty and origin of Christmas. Book like this are usually kid's favourite. I commend the effort of the author putting up this beautiful piece. Great review.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Julius Peters »

The incorporation of Bible verses and pictorial illustrations adds depth and authenticity to the narrative, enhancing the reading experience and allowing children to connect with the story on a deeper level. Your recognition of these elements underscores the book's effectiveness in conveying the significance of Christmas.
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

As a prospective reader, "I Wonder Why It’s Christmas” by Esther Ekunola immediately caught my attention with its promise to delve into the origins and magic of the Christmas celebration. This children’s book intriguingly narrates the story of Mary and the angel’s visit, bringing to life the moment when Mary learns she will bear a son named Jesus, who will become a great king. The angel reassures Mary that with God, all things are possible, despite her initial surprise and doubts.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”