Review of Sister B

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Review of Sister B

Post by Anjana Savita »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sister B" by David Charles Hart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

David Charles Hart's "Sister B" is a compelling story that takes place in the late 1930s and early 1960s, a time of racial injustice and world unrest. In the face of pervasive racism, the narrative follows Willie Mae, often lovingly referred to as Sister B, as she sets out on a journey from Mississippi to California in pursuit of a better life. She makes unforeseen friendships along the way, such as a moving meeting with Japanese photographer Akio Hashimoto, whose own hardships are similar to her own. Amidst the tumult of World War II, Sister B and Akio become caught in the intricacies of prejudice, conflict, and individual perseverance.

Through deftly navigating the interwoven lives of Sister B and Akio, Hart's storytelling illuminates the difficulties African Americans and Japanese Americans endured during a turbulent historical period. The characters are intriguing and realistic since they are shown to have depth and resiliency, especially Sister B. Despite being uncomplicated, Hart's writing style successfully conveys the historical and emotional core of the time, drawing readers into the lives of the individuals.

"Sister B" has shortcomings despite its positive aspects. Readers may become confused at times when the story abruptly switches between first- and third-person points of view. Furthermore, the inclusion of people with ambiguous goals undermines the story's overall coherence. Even if they are small, these errors affect the cohesion and flow of the story.

"Sister B" is noteworthy for its excellent editing. There aren't any obvious typos or grammatical mistakes in the entire work, which speaks highly of the author's attention to detail and dedication to excellence. Original poetry and illustrations are seamlessly incorporated into the story, which deepens and authenticates the reader's experience.

To sum up, "Sister B" is engrossing historical fiction that deftly combines romance, mystery, and social criticism. Even though the story's pacing and character development can lag, its overall impact is indisputable. I give "Sister B" a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, with one star subtracted for sporadic narrative flaws. Still, it's a fascinating and educational read that provides insightful information about the challenges minority populations faced at a critical juncture in history.

Sister B
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your detailed and insightful review. This sounds like an authentic telling of some of the prejudices of the time against a background of two powerful characters. I appreciate your thoughts on the books shortcomings.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I enjoy historical fiction books, especially those with themes I'm not familiar with. Your review has piqued my curiosity about the fate of Japanese immigrants living in America post-World War II. Your book review makes me want to read this book. Thank you for your excellent writing.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Anjana Savita »

Thank you so much for your support

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”