Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life

Post by Robert Cortes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life” by Jim Santos is a memoir that chronicles the many visits made by the author and Rita within and outside the United States. At first, Jim Santos is suffering from type 2 diabetes, and his doctor has prescribed exercising and dieting to aid his deteriorating health. This is in contrast to the depressing life he's been living, as his wife is dead and he's been so inactive in his daily activities. He finally found Rita, a woman with whom he quickly fell in love. Rita shows a passion for traveling, which stirs Santos's adventurous side. Then both started checking out many emails from the Internal Living website, which comes from many expatriates, and they were whisked into longing to also begin life as expats. Afterward, Jim and Rita travel to different regions of the United States. Jim could gain health by losing twenty pounds of his weight, and both decided to travel to places beyond the US. They chose to go to Ecuador, which is strongly based on Rita's preference for warmer temperatures. However, both would need to fight a number of cultural, behavioral, and language barriers to have a good time in this foreign land of Ecuador. Can you also take up an expat's life? Read about the life of Jim Santos in this book and be able to give a practicable answer.

This book proves to be an informative gem in the aspect of leaving one's native land for a foreign land. I love how the author crafted this book with the right writing tone that penetrates the readers' minds as if they are receiving advice from an elder. The book includes advice based on the author's approaches to challenges met in Ecuador, such as relational challenges, challenges of finances and the cost of living abroad, personal disposition to cultural differences, especially if the place traveled to is less developed than one's home country, as well as personal disposition to harsh political issues in foreign lands.

The author advised that one should not listen to rumors that other places are not safe to live in. He otherwise assures us that no continent is perfectly safe to live on, not even the United States, which many believe to be safer than any other regions of the earth. The author tends to present both the sweet and harsh experiences there are to living abroad and leaves readers to answer the question: Can you take on an expat life? The inclusion of pictures taken from various recreational experiences of the author and his partner adds a touch of relatability to the narrative; the pictures draw me closer to the happenings narrated on a more realistic level.

I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I could relate to and agree with every piece of advice and instruction given by the author; I have nothing to disagree with or dislike in the book. Also, the book is professionally edited, as I only found a typo in it. The book is suitable for anyone who plans to travel abroad, whether intercontinental, international, or intranational.

Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

The book shines in its practicality. Santos tackles cultural clashes, financial hurdles, and adapting to new environments, all with a sage-like tone. He debunks safety myths, reminding us that challenges exist everywhere. The inclusion of both positive and negative experiences lets readers decide if expat life is truly for them. Photos add a personal touch, making the journey relatable.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The book is a valuable resource for anyone considering expatriate life, offering insights and advice on handling financial, relational, and cultural challenges. Santos's narrative, enriched by his personal experiences and practical tips, is both engaging and informative, providing a realistic perspective on living abroad.
Scholastica Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scholastica-daniel.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Scholastica Daniel »

This is a first time for me to see a memoir about something travels abroad as an expatriate. It will be interesting to read about the culture of Ecuador and their experience as a foreign expatriate.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

This is a memoir about Santos, his ordeal with diabetes and wanting to have a normal life regardless. I hope to find it interesting when a copy reaches me.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

I love the plot this book. I'm looking forward to adding this to my shelve. Great review.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Ivan Kovic »

The high rating and professional editing make the book sound like a valuable read. This review makes me curious to explore the book and learn more about the challenges and rewards of living abroad.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Post by Joy Stanley »

I don’t think I would love to read this book. Your review is nice but this genre of books is not for me. Nice one from the author.
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Kene »

I can only wonder what the sick widower was going through. Thank goodness! Rita came around for good. Besides, I also love travelling.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”