Review of Chrome Mountain

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Kenneth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Review of Chrome Mountain

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider ambitiously merges science fiction, thriller, and action genres, weaving a tale of peril, invention, and unexpected alliances. The narrative revolves around Sonya McCall's desperate flight from a dangerous biker gang, intertwining with inventor Terry Radisson's struggle to prevent his creation, the VV1, from falling into malevolent hands.

While the premise holds promise, the execution falters in several areas. Schneider's writing style is criticized for its casual treatment of weighty themes such as mental health and assault, failing to fully explore their emotional depth. Sonya's turbulent past and suicidal contemplations are cursorily addressed, missing opportunities for meaningful character development. Additionally, an excess of characters with underdeveloped arcs contributes to a cluttered and disjointed narrative.

Against this backdrop, the novel introduces Sonya and Trey, two disparate protagonists brought together by fate. Sonya, fleeing her abusive gang leader, faces persecution, while Trey, haunted by his invention's potential misuse, seeks to destroy it. Their convergence sets the stage for a gripping adventure marked by love, friendship, and resilience.

Through 1046 pages, Schneider navigates readers through Sonya's escape from the Screaming Demons and Trey's struggle against the Chrome Falcons. As their paths intertwine, the narrative brims with action and suspense, culminating in a gripping exploration of loyalty, survival, and the quest for redemption.

While Chrome Mountain offers a gripping premise with elements of science fiction and action, it falls short in execution. The casual treatment of weighty themes dilutes their impact, and the abundance of characters with underdeveloped arcs contributes to a cluttered narrative. Despite these flaws, the novel still provides an engaging read for those drawn to its adventurous premise.

I enjoyed reading this book, but I had a little dislike while reading. The book was well edited but contains a very few grammar errors, which are almost not noticeable without a proper checkup.This book earns a rating of 3 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to readers seeking a thrilling blend of science fiction and action. Despite some narrative flaws, Chrome Mountain delivers an engaging tale of peril, invention, and unexpected alliances, making it a compelling read.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

Your review did justice in listing the likes and dislikes. Well done. The title looks good and charming I'm definitely giving this a try.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by williams Emerald »

Chrome Mountain attempts to merge science fiction, thriller, and action genres which I find to be effective in maintaining a cohesive plot and engaging pacing.
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by williams Emerald »

Chrome Mountain attempts to merge science fiction, thriller, and action genres which I find to be effective in maintaining a cohesive plot and engaging pacing.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

Your detailed critique of 'Chrome Mountain' is very insightful. It’s unfortunate that the novel doesn’t fully explore its weighty themes, but it’s good to know that the action and suspense keep the story engaging. I’m curious to see how Sonya and Trey’s paths converge.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”