Review of Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Review of Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination" by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min..]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Discrimination and biased behavior are rampant in workplace settings. Some mask their biased behaviors in a clever way, and some do it openly without fear of consequences. How do you put up with such behavior at work? How do we address it? What measures should one take to prevent such injustice? The author answers these questions in his book, Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination.

At the beginning, the author makes the reader understand the corporately constructed pyramid where prejudice seeps through. The author divides members of an organization into three types. Team members are those who have power and enjoy the benefits of favoritism. Team players are talented, highly educated, and victims of partiality. Bystanders do not belong to either of those groups. They simply watch the play. With this set-up, the author breaks down systemic prejudicial behaviors often encountered in an organization.

The author shares different tactics used by team members, like withholding information and resources in an attempt to dull a team player’s performance. Team members also contribute to microaggressions, which cause a team player to divert their focus from productivity to survival. The author further adds that biased behavior is caught, not taught. These words gave me clarity about why some young people at work exhibit prejudiced behavior. Executives can learn ways to provide a healthy workplace environment from this book. The author also provides team players with ways to successfully file a grievance complaint.

I never knew stress can also be positive, and I was pleasantly delighted to learn that from this book. I enjoyed reading this book, but I do have my share of criticisms. The author concentrates more on the unfair behavior that occurs at the workplace than on the methods to curb it. When the author discusses the methods, he concentrates more on executive leaders to provide a bias-free environment than on individuals facing bias. I would find this book wholesome if the author gave examples of biased situations and provided solutions to those specific situations. But the author provides generalized solutions to this invasive weed of injustice. For these reasons, I am deducting a star from my rating.

The editing of this book enhanced my overall reading experience. I could not find a single error. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to new recruits, victims of office discrimination, and leaders in organizations.

Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

This sounds like an interesting book with good solutions to apply in the workplace. Too bad it stays too general. The author could have provided more detailed situations and solutions.
Thank you for your review, Runan! As always, it's a pleasure to read your thoughts.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: Madame Ph.D.: Growing Up Black in DC and Beating the Odds by Gwynette Ford Lacy, Ph.D., MBA
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The book shared insight into a very controversial issue as we go through one form of prejudice and discrimination at some point in our work life. It is stressful to man your duties and still fight off such issues. You pointed out that the author stated the problem and gave solutions, I am eager to find out what they are.
I agree with you the author should tailor problems to specific issues as this will help readers understand better and see the context in which things played out, they can compare such scenarios with what they're going through at work. Thank you for your review, it is enlightening.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

It seems that this book may be a good starting point for the discussion about systemic racism. Your review points out that the book is incomplete in some ways. Hopefully, the author will write a book 2 to cover your concerns. You did a thorough and honest review. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”