Review of House of Eire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review of House of Eire

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "House of Eire" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you like novels containing mystery, murder, suspense, folklore, and history? Would you like to learn and experience a little bit of Irish culture? Would you like to know the difference between the tourism ideas of an Irish-American land developer and small, traditional Irish businesses? If you answered yes to these questions, you will enjoy reading House of Eire by June Gillam.

Believe it or not, I was attracted to this book by its cover. The green-colored cover contained a picture of a castle-like tower, the title House of Eire, and a small three-leaf shamrock. I assumed this novel would have some Irish content and was not disappointed.

The main character, Hillary Broome, and her spouse, Ed, were parents to a charming 10-year-old girl, Claire. Hillary's great-grandparents had emigrated to America during the Irish Potato Famine of the 1840s. Hillary wanted to explore her Irish roots in Ireland and visit her friend Bridget. Ed had promised Hillary a honeymoon trip to Ireland ten years ago. He was invited to participate in a law-enforcement conference in Ireland. Since the stars were aligned, they decided to take a two-week family vacation in Ireland.

Hillary's friend, Bridget, was at war with an Irish-American land developer, who wanted to build an amusement park for tourists. Bridget felt that tourists to Ireland needed to know about Irish history and the injustices endured by the Irish in the 1840s. She believed that installing monuments in remembrance of the Irish plight would better serve tourists and Ireland. A line was drawn, and a lot of money was at stake. How would this battle be resolved? You will have to read this book to find out.

June Gillam developed believable characters. No one was a superhero. She narrated this story using the third-person narrative. The plot had suspense, mystery, murder, and twists. I was made privy to the thoughts of the main characters. The plot was revealed through these thoughts and character dialogues. The plot had an even pace. I enjoyed all of these aspects.

The themes in the story included the joys of family, the pain of parental abandonment, the longing to feel connected to the past, shame, Irish folklore, cowardice, the Irish Potato Famine of the 1840s, and restless spirits. I enjoyed reading this book. The editing was professionally done, and the novel was easy to read. I appreciated that some Gaelic words were sprinkled throughout the story. This lent authenticity to the Irish theme. I did not find anything negative to report. Therefore, I gave House of Eire 5 out of 5 stars.

House of Eire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Musliudeen Taiwo
Currently Reading: Passion Struck
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musliudeen-taiwo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Musliudeen Taiwo »

Great review,I love stories that are based on mystery.I think this is a right book for me to read.Thanks for the recommendations.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Looks like you enjoyed reading this book! Would surely love to try this.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Well done, Gerry 😊 This is a very pleasant review to read. The book sounds captivating as well. I understand what you're saying about the cover; it is very attractive! All the best!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1021
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Gaining insight into other cultures, including those of Ireland, is a worthy goal. Unfortunately, there are about as many ideas of how this should be done as there are people wanting to do it. I probably won’t read this since it is part of a larger series. Thanks!
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Blockhead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Not sure this book is up my alley exactly, but it definitely sounds like one of a kind! It would be nice to learn more about Irish culture and history, and this book seems to take an interesting approach. Great review!
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

I can understand very well as to why you would be attracted to the book by the book cover. It is so green and so bright! Also, yes, I like suspense too and I believe I will like this book too. Thank you so much for the wonderful review Gerry.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: The Mission by Tara Basi
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

This is a great review as always, I like that it aroused a curiosity in me as the answer to the questions in the first paragraph was yes. I like the train of thought and how well put together the book is Kudos to the author. I do not have an in-depth view of what the Irish suffered during the 1840s and I hope to find out in this book. Thank you for such a great review, it whets the reader's appetite.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

What a delightful review This book seems to have captured your attention with its intriguing blend of mystery, suspense, and Irish culture. I'm glad to hear that the author's use of the third-person narrative and character thoughts effectively built suspense and kept you engaged.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by Aleena Augustine »

I'm definitely intrigued by the conflict between the amusement park and monument proposals in the book. It sounds like a complex issue with high stakes. I'm interested to see how the characters navigate and resolve it. Great job on the review!
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Keto kickstart by Wendy Simpson
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 600%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much, Gerry, for your beautiful review. I like that you focused on the green cover, part of the Irish plot. I am intrigued by your review. I like thriller, I will add the book to my list.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel a few years ago when it was the Book of the Month. I was only partially convinced but my knowledge of Ireland is limited and I wasn't particularly interested in the mother-daughter relationship, which is important in the story. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Abdullah Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Man by Jean-Michel Desire

Post by Abdullah Fawmi »

The book sounds very interesting. The book seems like an enjoyable read with its blend of mystery, suspense,murder, along with the inclusion of Irish culture and folklore. And I like that the author revealed the main character's thoughts. All in all this seems like a book made for myself. Thank you for an excellent review Gerry.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Laney K »

The cover is quite interesting. The shade of green does stand out. I'm glad the book met your expectations!
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Anu Anand »

With its blend of mystery, murder, suspense, folklore, and history, along with a glimpse into Irish culture, it promises an exciting and enriching reading experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”