Review of Tropical Scandal

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Tropical Scandal

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tropical Scandal" by David Myles Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In David Myles Robinson's Tropical Scandal, we encounter Pancho McMartin, a tenacious lawyer who takes on a seemingly straightforward murder case: a young man named Dayton stands accused of killing his own grandmother. However, as Pancho delves deeper, he uncovers a web of corruption, greed, and hidden motives lurking beneath. Will McMartin be able to uncover the truth?

This book is the fifth installment in Robinson's Pancho McMartin legal thriller series, but it can be thoroughly enjoyed as a standalone novel. 

The novel's strength lies in its ability to weave a complex and suspenseful plot. Robinson masterfully throws curveballs, keeping the reader guessing until the very end. The beautiful Hawaiian setting adds another layer of intrigue, contrasting the paradise with the darkness Pancho uncovers.

Pancho himself is a compelling protagonist, driven by a strong sense of justice and a commitment to uncovering the truth. The supporting characters, including the enigmatic Dayton and the tragic figure of Isaac Goldblum, further enrich the narrative with their depth and complexity.

While the intricate plot and captivating setting kept me glued to the pages, there was one aspect that fell short for me. I felt like some of the characters, especially those directly and indirectly involved in the murder, weren't sufficiently brought to life. Their motivations and personalities, though present, could have been further fleshed out, adding another layer of depth and intrigue to the narrative. This is why I would deduct a star from my rating.

While I appreciate the overall execution of the story, a more nuanced portrayal of the characters, particularly those directly tied to the murder, would have significantly elevated the emotional impact and overall reading experience. For the reasons above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Despite this, Tropical Scandal remains a thrilling legal thriller with a captivating setting and a well-crafted plot. For readers who prioritize a suspenseful mystery and enjoy the classic legal thriller tropes, this book is definitely worth a dive. It's a shame the rating system doesn't allow for half stars, because I would have gladly given it a 4.5 out of 5. Additionally, I'm happy to report that I encountered no grammatical errors throughout the book, which further enhanced my reading experience.

Tropical Scandal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Robinson's fifth Pancho McMartin novel stands out for its intricate plot and suspenseful storytelling, set against the backdrop of Hawaii's beauty.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: His Final Answer by Christopher D White & Jennifer Curran

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

In "Tropical Scandal" by David Myles Robinson, readers are thrust into the world of Pancho McMartin, a determined lawyer tackling a seemingly clear-cut murder case involving a young man accused of killing his grandmother.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Robert Cortes »

As a prospective reader, the review of David Myles Robinson's "Tropical Scandal" in the Pancho McMartin legal thriller series has piqued my interest. The plot centers around a seemingly simple murder case that evolves into a complex web of corruption and hidden motives, which sounds like a compelling narrative with plenty of twists and turns to keep me engaged.
Esther Unurhie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-unurhie.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Esther Unurhie »

The complexity of the case highlights Robinson's talent for blending legal intricacies with gripping narrative, making Tropical Scandal a standout in the legal thriller genre.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”