Review of It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anu Anand
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: The Gromes in "A Top Hat Day" by Zed

Review of It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Anu Anand »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“It's Hard to Be a Vampire” by Viktoria Faust is a collection of nine horror short stories. This book is a brief compilation of the author's writing spanning 20 years. The stories are thrilling and chilling, featuring the supernatural allure of vampires and ghosts, as well as the unsettling presence of crazed individuals and murderers. The most captivating aspect of the book for me was its ending, which unfolded unexpectedly with a gripping twist.

The first story, ‘It's Hard to Be a Vampire,’ follows a girl who longs to become a vampire but finds herself unable to do so. Despite her obsession, she even alters her diet in pursuit of her desire. However, fate has other plans in store for her. The ending of this story was the most unexpected for me.

‘Gallery of Horrors’ and its sequel, ‘The Painting Strikes Back,’ delve into the tale of artist Jan Turner and his creation of soulful paintings. However, he's also known as the painter with the cursed brush. The sequel tells the story of what happened to one of the remaining paintings, many years after the painter died. This was my favorite story, and by far the most chilling one.

'Do the Vampires Dream of Slaughtered Sheep?' is a story about a vampire hunter who unexpectedly finds love with the very creature he's sworn to hunt down. 'Narcissus' tells the story of a man who hits on a mysterious, alluring girl without knowing what’s in store for him. The author portrays the character in this story with both a ghostly and crazy vibe. I was pleasantly surprised.

‘Quietly they rise from the fog’ was very mysterious. It tells the story of an endless river in a never-ending city. The river's flow was veiled by dense fog, creating an eerie atmosphere that beckoned danger and death. As for the next story, 'Behind the Door,' the setting evoked a sense of confinement and unease reminiscent of an asylum. It skillfully navigates themes of fear, offering a chilling exploration of the human psyche.

‘The invisible ink’ is the story of a writer, Hana, and her mysterious disappearance. In the final story, ‘That Bloody Useless Bloodless Body!’, author Andy is unexpectedly confronted by a desperate fan seeking a solution to her enigmatic condition: a body devoid of blood.

Every story in this book is told with vivid descriptions. Overall, I found nothing to dislike about it. Some stories even challenged readers, and I sensed madness in the characters. The book is impeccably edited and well-crafted. With that said, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5. However, due to its explicit content and gory descriptions, I would not recommend it to young readers. This book will appeal to those who enjoy immersive storytelling and have a taste for the darker side of fiction.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

I loved this collection of short stories! The humorous yet gruesome ends was unexpected and thrilling. I liked the first story the most. I agree with your rating and recommendation. A great review.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review shows every reason to read the book. i like how you did a short summary of each story, This tells me what I can expect and allows me to choose whether or not to spend time with this book. I also love short stories. So, I'll have to give this book a try. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I totally love your review! I love these kinds of stories and would definitely read them.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door by Ali Master

Post by David Awunor »

Just from the title, you can tell it would be a compelling read. I enjoyed the review, especially the overall spookiness and detailed descriptions mentioned.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Oh I love horror short story compilations, especially ones about vampires and ghosts so this is going right to the top of my 'must-read' list. Thanks so much for introducing it to me.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kareen Hez »

Stories with the supernatural allure of vampires and ghosts, crazed individuals, and murderers are my favorite. This one definitely should go on my 'must-read list.' It's great that you provided a summary of almost all the short stories in the book, giving me a better understanding of it. Thank you for the great review! :tiphat:
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 67%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Your review gave me different take on the book. I loved few stories in this collection,like gallery of horror. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”