Review of The House on Tyner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mikaela Morley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikaela-morley.html
Latest Review: The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell

Review of The House on Tyner

Post by Mikaela Morley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The House on Tyner" by Matthew O’Connell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell is a cosy ghost story that follows the life of Jackson Taylor who moves to the town of Incline only to start seeing the ghost of a little girl. The story follows him trying to figure out the message she is trying to communicate to him.

My overall rating for this book is 4 stars out of 5 stars for the reasons given below.

You can always tell by the writing when the author is an observant individual. This is the impression I got when reading this book. It has a high level of description, but it is beautifully written. I could almost smell the fragrance of the cooking coming off the page and hear the sizzling of the steaks being grilled.

This book is a fantastic read and one I thoroughly enjoyed. The story continues at a consistent pace that keeps the reader engaged.

There are two areas that, for me, would have made it a five-star book. The first is a bit more character development. The characters are all similar in the way they speak and their personalities. Adding a bit of conflict with a couple of the characters in Jackson’s quest to gain understanding of what was happening in his house would have made it a bit more relatable.

The second area was the immediate acceptance that the little girl was a ghost. As the story develops, Jackson says that he did not believe in ghosts, calling himself a “complete non-believer,” and had never seen a ghost before so it seems a little implausible that his first thought the very first time he sees her was that she was a ghost. I think it would have had more impact for him to have first assumed that someone had broken in, and maybe a pepper’s ghost illusion for the disappearance scene, and develop a bit around him searching the house and looking for the source of the illusion, until he had spoken to the previous owners.

Overall, this was a great read. I would recommend to someone who enjoys a supernatural mystery.

The House on Tyner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”