Review by smoores -- Escape by Belle Ami

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
smoores
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoores.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Review by smoores -- Escape by Belle Ami

Post by smoores »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Escape
By Belle Ami

Rating I give: 2 out of 4 stars

Escape is a captivating novel about a young American woman, an Iranian man, and an undercover escape from the Iranian government wishing to imprison them both. Will they learn to cooperate with each other in order to make it out alive?

I liked that the book became one I couldn’t put down. It pulls you in very well, especially with how the chapter breaks are located. There was quite a bit of adventure and “nail biting” scenarios that pulled me into the book even more. The description of the different scenery and locations was thorough and made me want to go to the countries and see it in real life. The action parts where well versed and real allowing the picture to form more clearly in my mind. The Belle Ami showed the beauty and corruption of the countries in a way that made it look appealing.

I did not like the beginning of the book; I felt the first 10% was wordy and not completely necessary. It seemed to be written, initially, by someone who was unsure about what they wanted to put down on paper. There were a few typos scattered throughout, but nothing major. The typos were mixing up a letter which would happen if it was typed quickly, and some of the scenes I could see that happening. Especially since it seemed like the author could have been really getting into writing them. The characters seemed well thought out in regards to what should happen to them, and where they should end up. The ending was decent, there was a minor cliffhanger but otherwise the novel was wrapped up fairly well. Again, the ending was wordy.

It was different than what I normally read in regards to location. It took place in Iran and Israel, and the author used the native languages which I’ve rarely been exposed to. There were a few times where I wish a translation would have been provided.

Overall, I rated the book with 2 stars because of the wordy, slightly rambling nature I felt it took. I would recommend it to someone who has nothing they are currently interested in reading. Typically, if I’m not drawn in after 10% I stop reading; and with this book, that would have been the case. I feel the author has potential; they have a very good attention to detail when it comes to description and carried out the plot well.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like smoores's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”