Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This novel is in the self-help genre, with themes and stories tailored for children to help them understand themselves and embrace their inner beauty. The ideas presented in this book will serve as a guide for adults to assist children in gaining a better understanding of one another.
The book consists of two sections: a narrative-based first section and a discussion-based second section.

The author constructs an intriguing underwater environment in the story-based section and begins narrating the tale of Edwin, a distinctive type of fish that was found by a more experienced group of fish and raised as one of their own.
Edwin, who has been convinced since childhood that he is a fish, does not resemble an underwater creature and feels out of place because of his unique appearance and abilities. This made his life difficult: he was afraid, had to deal with humiliation, felt like he didn't belong in his parents' world, was taunted and criticized frequently, and was always under pressure to appear the same as everyone else.

When he accidentally drifted to a different side of his universe one day, he saw animals that looked and felt much like him. This caused him to doubt his identity and to desperately struggle to accept reality. This marks the beginning of Edwin's journey of self-exploration, brimming with an endless array of questions and ideas. How is he going to handle this new change? The author discusses how he came to embrace his genuine self and how he now accepts his differences, loving himself for being truthful.

The author delves into a self-help discussion in the next section. Embracing one's uniqueness, discovering the right means of self-expression, overcoming obstacles, and striving for personal growth. By breaking the cycle of self-loathing, humiliation, and shame, we can develop into beautiful, self-assured beings and embrace ourselves. There are many questioning components designed to help participants explore the journey and learn more about themselves. The book largely deals with themes such as adoption, feeling out of place, friendship, and acceptance.

I give this book a 5 out of 5 rating. The author's wonderful narrative technique, which effectively conveys a powerful message in a short and fascinating story using simple language, deserves credit. The characters make a strong impression, the plot is concise and easy to follow, and the message is evident. This book is ideal for readers of all ages. The book's illustrations enhanced my reading experience, and the editing team did an excellent job producing flawless work.
I recommend this book to everyone. Pick it up to assist yourself.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A good review! I have read this book and loved it. I am glad that we share the same views!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

This description of Edwin the fish reminds me so much of Nemo in the movie "Finding Nemo," who is missing part of one of his fins, goes on an unintentional adventure and ultimately discovers the power of love and friendship. What a beautiful-sounding book this is!
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Priya Murugesan wrote: 24 May 2024, 13:48 A good review! I have read this book and loved it. I am glad that we share the same views!
Yess, while selecting i thought it will be some easy going children's story but it got good message in it. I'm glad that we are on same page.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 24 May 2024, 14:46 This description of Edwin the fish reminds me so much of Nemo in the movie "Finding Nemo," who is missing part of one of his fins, goes on an unintentional adventure and ultimately discovers the power of love and friendship. What a beautiful-sounding book this is!
Yes, though it seems simple but it gave strong message about, it's okay to be different.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Anu Anand »

I initially chose this book thinking it was for children, but I soon realized it speaks to people of all ages. The story carries a deep meaning that resonates with anyone who feels they don't belong. I loved reading this book and your review. Great work.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Anu Anand wrote: 25 May 2024, 00:29 I initially chose this book thinking it was for children, but I soon realized it speaks to people of all ages. The story carries a deep meaning that resonates with anyone who feels they don't belong. I loved reading this book and your review. Great work.
Actually I had same thoughts,but when I dive into this book.. i found the message was so good and things about being different concepts is powerful.
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

A well-written review. Sometimes, the environment you're in can impact your self-image. If he hadn't explored the other riff, he might have always thought he was "not fish enough"
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

David Awunor wrote: 25 May 2024, 02:22 A well-written review. Sometimes, the environment you're in can impact your self-image. If he hadn't explored the other riff, he might have always thought he was "not fish enough"
100% truth, the nature itself let him to explore about himself.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I agree with everything in this review. I read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The message was clear: Love and accept yourself for who you really are. If you look hard enough you will find other people who identify with who you are and appreciate you. You are never alone if, you embrace those who accept you and you accept yourself. Edwin's story was beautiful. This book will help children and adults who are struggling with their identity and loving themselves. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review is insightful and captivating, offering a detailed exploration of the book's themes and narrative structure. It praises the author's storytelling technique, emphasizing its effectiveness in conveying a powerful message to readers of all ages. The review also highlights the book's engaging discussion section and its relevance in promoting self-discovery and personal growth. Overall, it presents a compelling recommendation for readers to explore the book and embrace its valuable insights.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 25 May 2024, 13:12 I agree with everything in this review. I read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The message was clear: Love and accept yourself for who you really are. If you look hard enough you will find other people who identify with who you are and appreciate you. You are never alone if, you embrace those who accept you and you accept yourself. Edwin's story was beautiful. This book will help children and adults who are struggling with their identity and loving themselves. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
This book surprised me totally with it's intense message oriented kids story, I was expecting some simple story for kids to read in free time or bed time but it's really good one.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 12:18 This review is insightful and captivating, offering a detailed exploration of the book's themes and narrative structure. It praises the author's storytelling technique, emphasizing its effectiveness in conveying a powerful message to readers of all ages. The review also highlights the book's engaging discussion section and its relevance in promoting self-discovery and personal growth. Overall, it presents a compelling recommendation for readers to explore the book and embrace its valuable insights.
Thank you! It's good message oriented kids book.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Priya Murugesan wrote: 24 May 2024, 13:48 A good review! I have read this book and loved it. I am glad that we share the same views!
That's great! it's really good book and I'm also glad that you too liked it in same way.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

This is a book for kids or adults? I'm a little unsure. It's got children's themes, but the self-help section sounds more like it's geared towards adults. Is it for them to read and then discuss with their children?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”