Review of Roan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Who is that Guy? by Guy Kemp

Review of Roan

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Roan" by E. R. Barr.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The sheer size of a book can sometimes feel daunting. Yet, when the content is captivating and engaging, that same length can feel insufficient. You find yourself yearning for more, craving additional details, and dreading the moment you reach the final page. A similar thing happened to me with this book by E. R. Barr, titled Roan.

The book begins with Conor Archer, a talented young musician in Chicago, playing the tin whistle at ‘DerryAir,’ a local Irish pub. He is the hero and the heart of this book. Despite being underage, he plays in the band due to his talent and the bar owner's kindness. After performing, he encounters a mysterious man, clad in leather, who seems to know a lot about him. The man offers Conor a drink, and after drinking it, Conor feels disoriented. The man reveals that Conor is "one of the dark ones," a member of a mysterious group. He bites Conor's hand and disappears into the river, leaving Conor confused and in pain. Meanwhile, things are already tough for Conor because his mother is terminally ill and losing her battle with cancer.

While returning home, Conor encounters yet another strange woman with long red hair, who surprisingly bandages Conor’s hurting hand. She gives him a cryptic message as well, which seems more like a warning. Lost in thoughts, when Conor reaches home, he finds his mother, Finola, dying. As a final wish, Finola tells him to go live with his Aunt Emily, and saying so, she passes away peacefully in Conor's arms. Conor then finds a letter from Aunt Emily, telling him to come to 'Tinker’s Grove' after his mother's death, and thus, following Finola's final wishes, he heads to 'Tinker's Grove,' Wisconsin.

As Conor arrives in 'Tinker's Grove,' he discovers that he is not like normal people. He is indeed a "dark one," someone with both human and otherworldly blood running through his veins. Moreover, this town is also no ordinary town because it is filled with dark secrets and mysterious inhabitants, including murderers, shapeshifters, and time travelers. And now, since Conor has arrived, it sets off a chain of events that will change the course of his life forever. What happens? Will Conor uncover all the secrets? Will he discover things he never even thought of before? Read the book to find out!

In my view, Roan is an epic supernatural thriller. The compelling coming-of-age storyline is bound to captivate readers who enjoy this genre. Also, the way the author has integrated 'Celtic' and 'Native American' mythology into a paranormal-style narrative is truly remarkable. Add to it the awesome and intricate world-building that the author has crafted; it is excellent. I say so because the way the world is created feels both familiar and entirely new. The magic, mystery, and danger elements in the book are also amazing and quite interesting.

Moreover, the other characters in Roan are also equally amazing, including 'Troubles,' the loyal dog; Aunt Emily, who holds the key to Conor's destiny; and Jace and Beth, the enigmatic twins who help Conor on his journey. I even liked the character of ‘Brother Luke.’ The book is no wonder huge (546 pages), and it took me a while to finish it, but it is worth it because of the twists, turns, and brisk pace. Thus, considering the overall plot, the world-building, the mystery element, the character development, and the final reading experience, I rate this book a full 5 out of 5 stars. I disliked nothing about the book.

As for the recommendation, if you have read books like "The Lord of the Rings" or "The Game of Thrones" and enjoyed them, then you should surely consider reading Roan.

Roan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”