Review of The Face of Fear

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Review of The Face of Fear

Post by Aleena Augustine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Face of Fear" by R. J. Torbert.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert introduces us to Deborah, who was raised by a loving and protective father. Her journey to Bridgeport to visit her friend Patty turn terrifying when she's kidnapped aboard a ferry. The investigation into her disappearance is led by detectives Bud Johnson and Paul Powers.

The narrative also introduces other key characters such as Rachelle, a part-time restaurant hostess and writer covering Deborah's kidnapping, and Cronin, a tough yet fair lieutenant. The plot thickens as Rachelle's article triggers a series of tragic event. Read the book to uncover the mysterious occurrences in the town of Port Jefferson.

As the story progresses, themes of love, grief, heartbreak, and betrayal interweave seamlessly, with the iconic 'Ghostface' mask from the Scream franchise making an notable appearance. The narrative's twists and turns will keep readers engrossed, with suspense lingering until the very end.

What I liked about the book was how the author skillfully highlighted the individual personalities and quirks of the detectives such as Bud’s comedic comments during serious moments and Paul’s affinity for female singers. Their dynamic as a team was intriguing; despite their contrasting approaches and personality, they seamlessly complemented each other when tackling the complexities of the case. Bud’s quick wit often provided a necessary break from tension, while Paul’s meticulous attention to detail and empathy added a compassionate edge to their investigative efforts. Another positive aspect was how the author provided helpful explanations for readers, clarifying acronyms and police jargon used throughout the story.

I didn't find anything to dislike about the book. It had a compelling plot, well-developed characters, and twists that kept me hooked from start to finish. Despite a few errors, it was otherwise well-edited. So, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. Fans of mystery detective novels will enjoy it, though it contains a lot of profane language, making it more suitable for a mature audience.

The Face of Fear
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

The creation of strong and well-developed characters along with a suspenseful plot make this book an interesting read. I like the pairing of the detectives, with different personalities, that compliment each other while carrying out the investigation. The good editing and the 5 out of 5 rating make this a compelling book to read. Thank you for this concise and informative review. :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really enjoy novels like this. I enjoy trying to discover for myself who is the perpetrator. These detectives seem to be really thorough as well as humorous. Thanks!
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I love a good mystery with interesting, quirky characters. This sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll put it on my list. 8)
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”