Review of Requiem For A Queen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 116%

Review of Requiem For A Queen

Post by RJ Reviews »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Requiem For A Queen" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When a war between Middle Earth and Hell ensues, Samara, in a desperate attempt to let her comrades escape, sacrifices her freedom. Lucifer, the ruler of Hell, puts her in the dungeon, where he continually tortures, brutalizes, and rapes her. When she falls pregnant because of the rape, she hides it from him and manages to escape. But Lucinda, Lucifer's daughter, steals Papillion, Samara's son, out of jealousy. Will Samara be able to save Papillion? Will Lucifer side with Lucinda, or will he help save Papillion? Read Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren to learn what happens to Papillion. 

This multi-genre novel is 325 pages long and is rich with fantasy and mystical elements. There is magic, rich world-building, shapeshifters, Nephilim, and intriguing characters. The plot moves at a brisk pace, with plenty of suspense and adventure. To rescue Samara from Lucifer's grasp, Damian, her lover, gathers his army. His bravery and determination are admirable. Samara's unrelenting strength, courage, selfless love, resilience, and sacrifices will appeal to readers. The amount of pain she goes through to rescue her son is awe-inspiring. This book has many diverse characters, each with its own struggles, abilities, and motivations. The dynamics between the characters drive the plot forward. Although the story centers around Samara, Lucifer, and Papillion, other characters contribute to the story to a great extent. 

The eloquent writing style suits its genre. The author did a fantastic job describing the terrifying characters, like the Black Dragon, and the gory fight scenes. Each chapter opens with a quote. The poem at the beginning adds to the uniqueness of the book. Several plot twists help build the suspense throughout the story. There is nothing I dislike about this book. The editing is flawless, with zero grammatical errors. Though there are profanities, I found their use justifiable. The book is concise, with no unnecessary details or events. I rate this book 5 out of 5 for its brisk pacing, eloquent writing, satisfactory character development, and rich world-building. 

This book contains graphic violence and one explicit sexual scene. Thus, I recommend this book to mature readers only. This book will appeal to fantasy lovers who enjoy rich world-building with intriguing characters. 

Requiem For A Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes about fantasy and related to the devil's main character. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Anu Anand »

This sounds like a captivating read filled with intriguing and suspenseful plot twists. I liked Samara's character and would love to read about a strong character like her. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kareen Hez »

Books with magic, shapeshifters, and dragons are my cup of tea. I will definitely read this book at the first chance I get. Your review flows smoothly, and I enjoyed it very much. Great work! Looking forward to more reviews from you! :tiphat:
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Full Circle by Sam Bierstock

Post by Terry Kimble »

Whoa! This book sounds frightening. Although I don't dabble in the horror genre, this well-written review has piqued my interest. This may be just the book to broaden my reading horizons. :eusa-think: I enjoy reading your interesting reviews, RJ! :tiphat:
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Wow, this book is a real winner according to your well-writeen and informative review. Samara is an amazing character, and her struggles alone intrigue me. The vivid contrasting of evil vs. good makes for a captivating plot. The fact that there are several strong characters makes me excited to read this book. I know it will be an enjoyable read due to the excellent editing and prose of the author. As usual, you did a great review. I am adding this book to my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Wow, it looks like a wonderful action packed fantasy book with elements of mystery, adventure and resilience. Thank you for your detailed review!
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The elderly Gentleman's Ulyssee by Hans Bodmer

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Okay, this is an interesting book. Lucifee dies exactly what would be expected of him to do and worst if all the girl gets pregnant. I don't know what I would do if I got pregnant by my abuser. It's really scary. I loved your review though.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

This book seems to have a lot of back story. I like how there are some known and unknown characters and I believe I will love this book. The author is lucky that their book got reviewed by such a great reviewer.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

Mature readers only for sure, but I love these books where a strong woman battles out of horrible circumstances! Thanks for a wonderful review!
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

I don't think I can read this book. The cruel things Lucifer did to her... I am glad she could escape. Nice review, by the way.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering i will read the book too. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I’m a lover of fantasy and strong female characters, so this book piques my interest. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative review. I will have to remember this title!
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”