Review by Monroe1987 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monroe1987
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monroe1987.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel

Review by Monroe1987 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Monroe1987 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart is a unique and exciting story by author Charlie Sheldon that takes place on Washington State’s Olympic Peninsula. Between the breathtaking cover and the almost cinematic opening, this was one book to get excited about.

Strong Heart opens with maps of our upcoming journey, and then with characters William, Tom, and Myra preparing for a hiking trip. Myra is William's daughter. Unexpectedly, Tom’s ex-wife Ruth drops their teenage granddaughter off with him, Sarah Cooley, claiming she can no longer care for her. Confused, but eventually accepting, Tom takes Sarah along on their hiking trip.

In the beginning, it’s obvious Sarah doesn’t want to be there. She gives off that typical teenage attitude, however, Tom doesn’t necessarily make it easy on her either. While he seems willing to get to know Sarah, (it’s touched upon that he didn’t have a good relationship with her mother), he also seems apathetic towards the situation. We see more of this attitude when Sarah brings a drawing back to camp. Sarah claims to have seen a prehistoric bear; she draws the bear in her sketch book and shows it to Tom, William, and Myra. Tom doesn’t believe her, which prompts Sarah to take off alone. After searching for eight days, Sarah is found, and she has an amazing story to tell.

If you enjoy stories with a focus on history and mysticism, then you will enjoy Strong Heart. The story begins in the present time, and then readers are transported to the past. This is where we learn the story of Strong Heart, along with other characters and experiences told by young Sarah. Sheldon goes into great detail concerning the historical aspects of the story. The pacing was appropriate and the character development was done well. There was more of a connection and a focus on Tom and Sarah’s relationship.

Readers are then transported back to the present; this leaves Tom, William, and Myra wondering if Sarah’s story is true. I give Strong Heart 3 out of 4 stars. The time transitions threw me off a bit, which is why I’m giving it a 3. The first time we are transported in time, it feels forced and quick, which led to some confusion. Sarah is questioned about her experiences while she was missing, and then the next chapter jumps into Sarah’s historic tale. One may feel they’re reading an entirely different story. However, both seemingly separate stories were solid and essential to the other. These time jumps continue until the end of the story.

Overall, this story was enjoyable and interesting. Sheldon writes extremely well; he is descriptive, and there is definite excitement going into the story, wondering where this journey is going to lead everyone. This story is filled with history, wonder, and mysticism. It shows us how friendship and family bonds shape the people we become. Sheldon is an exceptional writer, and I look forward to reading more of his works.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Monroe1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I enjoyed the descriptions also. I wondered if the author would write a sequel, going into more explanations of the past! Thanks for your comments. Nice job.
Monroe1987
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monroe1987.html

Post by Monroe1987 »

Thank you for the reply!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”