Review by Vikena -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vikena
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vikena.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Vikena -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Vikena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel, The 11:05 Murders written by Brian O'Hare is a fictional mystery novel which talks about the mysterious deaths of three men on three consecutive Tuesday evenings at 11:05 precisely. The murders of these men left too many clues and possible suspects. These murders are being investigated by the Serious Crimes Unit of Strandtown Police Station. The Serious Crimes Unit is headed by Chief Inspector Sheehan, an intelligent, diligent, a good team player, charismatic and very caring leader. In his team, he has WDS Stewart, a young, intelligent and honest female detective, Detective Allen, Sergeant McCullough etc. Together they have to find the mysterious killer of these men sifting the clues of their murders to the death of an ex female student of Queen's University who committed suicide 12 years ago. The Crown Prosecutor, for reasons not so clear to the Serious Crimes Unit is very much interested and active in the ongoing investigations. In the course of their investigation, WDS Stewart has a stalker and a mystery informant who is interested in her solving these murders. Also, two attempts are made on the life of Detective Allen. It left the team wondering whether or not the stalking of WDS Stewart and attempt on the life of Detective Allen is in anyway connected to the ongoing investigation of the 11:05 pm murders of the three men who all attended Queen University 12 years ago.

To say this book is interesting, captivating and entertaining is actually an understatement. For a mystery lover like me, there is everything to love about this novel. Some of the things that caught my attention in this novel are; firstly, the writer's style of keeping the reader in suspense. Each chapter leaves the reader so eager to read the next chapter immediately. The book has a way of captivating a person's interest and leaves him wondering and eager to know what happened next. My advice to anyone interested in reading this book is, don't start reading this book if you are busy with other things because you won't stop till the last print in the book.

Secondly, the author's use of words. The author had a way of using words to paint a mental picture in the mind of his readers. I found myself having a mental picture of all the characters in the novel while I read it. To me, it was more as if I was seeing every event happening live. Based on this, I suggest this novel to readers who are patient enough to read in full detail but if you are a fast reader or a skimmer, you may not make the best of this novel. The good news is, this novel is worth the read.

Thirdly, I enjoyed the author's style of writing. He adopted the omniscient narrative technique and he did a very good job at it. Wow, he really took charge of his creations (the characters). He knows what every character is thinking and when they are thinking. He played his God role extremely well that it got me thinking what a perfectionist he is. I also loved how he adopted psychology in resolving the issue of the stalker. It made the novel a bit vast and also educating. I learnt few things while reading the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it deserves the four star. There was never a dull moment in the novel and it really entertained me. The editing of the book is okay and the use of colloquial word like "aye" I find interesting. I highly recommend this book to mystery and horror novel lovers, people who enjoy reading and people who need a book companion. Readers who prefers explicit romance novel won't find this book interesting because their is no explicit romance here. Also, skimmers may not really find this book interesting because they may miss important details while skimming. In all, this book is great!

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Vikena's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”