Review by Yolimari -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Review by Yolimari -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe in love that transcends time and space? Do you believe in reincarnation and soulmates? Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann is a historical fiction and romance novel that discusses the subjects of past lives and love beyond death. Amanda Parker is a young woman who has gone through a series of devastating losses. As a result, Amanda fears she might lose more people she loves. Her life changes the day she saves Mark Patrick Callahan, a handsome and arrogant policeman from the Chicago Police Department. Strangely, she feels she knows him from before. Unbeknownst to her, Mark also feels he knows her from before. What is more, a grandfather clock dating from the eighteenth century becomes a mystery as it reveals a possible connection between them during the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Their connection is so strong and bizarre that they decide to investigate their past lives with the help of Amanda’s godmother, Mary Axelrod, who is a successful psychologist. Do they know each other from a past life? Are they soulmates? Will Amanda be able to overcome her suffering and move forward with her present life?

The antique grandfather clock was my favorite element of the story. I liked its description and history. I was able to imagine the clock vividly and feel its magnetic power. It could be the focus of mysterious, historical, and romantic scenes in a film based on the book. I loved the beautiful and transcendental connections between the grandfather clock, St. Michael’s Church, and the main characters’ lives.

I enjoyed Samyann’s writing style. She wrote the transitions between the present and the past with a natural flow. She captured the intense connection between Amanda and Mark with the descriptions of their feelings and thoughts. She also built up the mystery of the grandfather clock and its chimes with skillfulness. I wanted to keep reading to find out how they knew each other from before and everything connected.

As for the characters, my favorites of the present were Mary and Mark. I laughed with Mary’s wit and sarcasm. I loved Mark’s determination, confidence, and romantic deeds. My favorites of the past were Magdalena and Daniel. Magdalena’s motherly love for Bonnie and Jack was palpable through the pages. I just could not get enough of Daniel’s cocky persona. Overall, Samyann did a fine job describing the personality of the characters, but they could have been developed a bit more because they do not change that much. However, this might have been an author’s choice on purpose because the main theme of the novel is reincarnation, meaning that the soul does not die and remains the same throughout time and space.

The main themes discussed in Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation are reincarnation and soulmates, which lured me to read the novel because I do believe in having special connections with certain people in our lives. Samyann developed these themes in the story with loving tenderness, romance, and a degree of silent passion. She also let the reader understand how the main characters’ past lives had an effect on their present lives.

What I did not like about the story was that Amanda and Mark drink a lot of alcohol throughout the novel. I also could have read the book without all the cursing. The drinking and cursing, however, gave an air of modernity to the chapters set in the present. I understand that me not liking the drinking and cursing is a subjective matter because I know other readers might enjoy these parts. As for errors, I found a minor one.

I rate Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann 4 out of 4 stars chiefly because the history of the grandfather clock and its connections to St. Michael’s Church and the main characters enthralled me. I also enjoyed reading about a doting love story that transcended time and space. I recommend this book to those who believe in reincarnation and soulmates. Historical fiction and romance aficionados will like it too. I think the book is appropriate for young adults because its romantic and violent content is not graphic.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice job on your review. You explained the characters and setting very clearly. I like your comment about the drinking and cursing. Do authors think we will not enjoy the book without them?? Great synopsis. Thanks.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your review on this book - I have been looking at this series as the second book in the series popped up for me yesterday. Looks like a great read.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 20:41 Nice job on your review. You explained the characters and setting very clearly. I like your comment about the drinking and cursing. Do authors think we will not enjoy the book without them?? Great synopsis. Thanks.
Personally, I prefer books without cursing and too much alcohol consumption. I think she used these elements to give the characters in the present a sense of modernity, but I could have read the book without these just fine.

Thanks for stopping by!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

N_R wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 20:59 Thanks for your review on this book - I have been looking at this series as the second book in the series popped up for me yesterday. Looks like a great read.
My understanding is that Yesterday is a standalone novel. Either way, it is a good read.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Ria1
Currently Reading: The Haunted House
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ria1 »

Hi Yolimari,
I am a newb on the site and I am currently reading the same book. Just wanted to say that I liked your review. It was short and to the point without revealing too much of the plot.
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

This review is a very good example of following the guidelines of OBC. In fact, I just studied it, separating it into the five necessary parts. Your review was so good that if I hadn't just read the novel myself, I would now. Thanks, Yolimari
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”