Review by Yolimari -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Review by Yolimari -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Michelle Cummings, The Reel Sisters is the beautiful and touching story of a group of women who share a strong friendship and love fly fishing. Originally from Kansas, Sophie fell in love with fly fishing during her twenties, moved to Colorado, bought some land, and started a greenhouse and nursery business. Veronica is the CEO of her own company, Executive Coaching for Women. After meeting Sophie in an airplane, she started practicing fly fishing, which changed her career. Amanda, whose husband is stationed at Fort Carson, went one day to Sophie's pumpkin patch. After another visit with her fifth-grade class to the greenhouse, Sophie invited her to fly fish. Amanda loved it and was a natural. Rose is the leader of the group and the owner of the cabin, located next to the Arkansas River, where the ladies meet to fly fish and get away from it all. Melody is a young photographer with a peculiar personality and who joins the group unexpectedly.

The Reel Sisters is a fictional novel about fly fishing and the power of friendship through great and hard times. Cummings created a diverse and dynamic cast of strong female characters who come together through the sport of fly fishing. Each of the women has a distinct personality and life story. Cummings masterfully weaved their stories while making fly fishing the center of the story. In addition, the serene and sublime setting of the novel in Colorado, particularly near the Arkansas River, gives an organic depth to the book.

My favorite element of the book was the amazing cast of characters. The story is narrated from the perspective of each of the women, allowing the reader to get to known them. My favorite character was Rose because she shares her cabin with the ladies, making it a place for the sisterhood. She also imparts wisdom while keeping her wit. I enjoyed Sophie's earthy vibe. I admired Veronica's tenacity and discipline. I liked Amanda's resiliency and positive attitude. Lastly, it was fun reading about Melody's odd personality.

My other favorite element of the book was its setting. It was a joy reading about fly fishing, mountains, rivers, landscapes, and fish. At first, I thought the book was going to be boring. I had never read a book about fishing before. However, I found myself immersed in the natural setting of the story. I even rented out the film A River Runs Through It, which Sophie mentions inspired her to get fly fishing lessons. Reading The Reel Sisters is literally a breath of fresh air.

The only thing I did not like about the book was its ending. The women's stories are so powerful, the setting is beautiful, and the bond of sisterhood is strong. While reading, I thought the book was marvelous. As a result, I did not take well how it ends. I understand, nonetheless, there is a lesson to take away from it. Overall, the whole book uses fly fishing as a metaphor to life. The end of the story works the same way.

Without a doubt, I rate The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings 4 out of 4 stars because it has strong and diverse female characters, the setting of the story is gorgeous, and the author depicts a wonderful sisterhood. The book only has a few minor errors and one incorrect use of perspective. I recommend this book to those who enjoy reading about strong women, fly fishing, nature, and friendship.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It is funny, ages ago I worked at a fishing resort (long before I became a vegetarian) and so I have had some exposure to this kind of fishing and I can relate to the beauty of the surroundings. But I never really understood the appeal of fishing. However, I do get the appeal of the bond of friendship, especially through a shared interest. And I love books with strong female characters. Thanks for the review.
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Kat Berg wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 20:28 It is funny, ages ago I worked at a fishing resort (long before I became a vegetarian) and so I have had some exposure to this kind of fishing and I can relate to the beauty of the surroundings. But I never really understood the appeal of fishing. However, I do get the appeal of the bond of friendship, especially through a shared interest. And I love books with strong female characters. Thanks for the review.
After reading this story, I think people like fishing because it is serene and practiced in nature. I do not fish but I enjoyed reading about it. I think the bond of sisterhood in a natural and beautiful setting made it a good story. Thanks for commenting and stopping by! :D
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Oh, I miss reading books with a lovely setting. I have (I know it's my fault) been reading too many tragedies of late. Strong female characters AND fly fishing? I am sold! Thank you for this lovely review :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

From the nice review I can tell that you really enjoyed the book. The plot of the books seems to have been well thought out by the author. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Samy Lax wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 05:18 Oh, I miss reading books with a lovely setting. I have (I know it's my fault) been reading too many tragedies of late. Strong female characters AND fly fishing? I am sold! Thank you for this lovely review :)
Personally, I think reading too many tragic books consecutively can be heavy on the heart. I try to alternate genres for that reason. I am sure you will like The Reel Sisters. Thanks for your kind words and stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Marylynn wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 13:32 From the nice review I can tell that you really enjoyed the book. The plot of the books seems to have been well thought out by the author. Thank you for the review.
Yes, I liked it very much. Thanks for commenting and stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Ian Preston
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ian Preston »

From the review, this seems like a nice book that needs sitting under an Orange tree and a glass of orange juice nearby😂 Definately i cant wait to start reading the book
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I agree with you about the ending. I did not like it at all! But otherwise it was a wonderful book.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

This was a great 'getting away from it' book. I gave it the highest marks, too. Thanks for the review.
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

Friendship requires love to keep it strong. These five ladies genuinely loved one another.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

In addition to exposing me to the sport of fly fishing, this book also broadens my understanding of the beneficial effects of friendship. I appreciate your entertaining review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”