Review by KristyKhem -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Review by KristyKhem -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads is the fourth novel in Kaylin McFarren’s Threads series. This riveting novel tells the tale of Akira Sato, a trained Japanese assassin who works for a notorious gang lord by the name of Mitsui San. To secure her freedom from such a dangerous lifestyle, Akira must complete one last task and avenge the murder of her boss’ sister. To accomplish this, she must infiltrate a Caribbean cruise liner and investigate a married British couple who are the prime suspects. During her mission, she meets Devon Lyons who happens to be the couple’s handsome nephew. She quickly ensnares him in a web of seduction, but surprisingly develops real feelings for him. However, mysterious occurrences involving strange disappearances and killings onboard the ship threatens to compromise Akira’s mission. Will she succeed in her final task for Mitsui San? Will she forsake her mission for love? More importantly, is someone targeting Akira? These are the questions that plague the mind when engrossed in this stimulating tale.

This story captivates its readers from the very first chapter. I am amazed at the different genres that have been woven together to create this book. Adventure, mystery, action, and romance are all portrayed. I also liked that Akira’s character was so dynamic. Her character switches back and forth from a cold femme fatale to a naïve damsel. Although she is a ruthless assassin, Akira has human weaknesses and these layers of her personality make her more relatable and likable.

The setting of the plot aboard a cruise ship was unique to the story. Crime and cruise ships are not typically associated, but I appreciated this rare pairing. McFarren not only described the cruise ship in great detail, but she totally immersed the characters in an assortment of cruise activities such as island tours, dinner parties, and cooking classes. I liked this aspect of the book as these holiday type descriptions became slivers of reprieve from the fast-pace of the story.

I did not find anything that I disliked about this novel. In my opinion, it was well researched and the plot was full of surprises and unpredictable twists. This book did not contain any noticeable flaws and seemed to be professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its unique plot and for achieving a functional balance among several genres. I would recommend this book to adult action and mystery fans. Romance readers may also find this novel exciting and refreshing as it is very different from the dreamy literature of romantic storylines.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great, thorough review! I read it and while I didn't enjoy it as much as you, I did appreciate the author's descriptive writing.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Great review! This read would appeal to a very wide range of audience because of the various themes included. I also agree that crime and cruise ships makes an unussual ,albeit fascinating tale. Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

I am a sucker for a good love story. I actually did not think that Akira was going to fall for the charms that Devon threw her way. Akira strikes me as a fierce, ruthless woman with no feelings for anyone. However, Devon found a way to get under the assassin's skin and change her into a caring, loving person. Unfortunately, I have not read the other books in the series. I felt clueless when significant information was brought up. I did not fully understand the situation with Devon's mother. The author knew how to keep readers on their toes! What was a shocking reveal for you? I had a lot of moments that made me think, "What just happened?" This was a really great read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”