Review by lisamcogutu -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by lisamcogutu -- The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by lisamcogutu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What she had gained in bulk and strength over the months she has lost in agility. Her health is fast deteriorating but she forges on, as she is determined to see to it that she is the ruler of her kingdom. Patience is one thing her mother taught her, and she'll be patient enough to wait for her prey to come her way. First basks in the sun with a heart swelling with joy. The rainy season is long forgotten, and soon she'd satisfy her hunger. Determined, she matches into the salt fields.

In her dream she sees Mother and her two nestlings. "Everything will be alright," she assures herself, "with Mother watching, everything will be fine."

The pain in her jaw is too much for her to bear. She calls out for Mother, but she doesn't come. She thinks she's dreaming, and yet seeing at the same time. "This is too much," she tells herself. A great groan escapes her lips, calling out for Mother who is watching, but never comes to her aid. Her side aches so much, she wishes to die. Memory is a damn liar. The gargantuan mouth of the sea begins to close at her. Slowly she gives in, and a rest like no other takes over her body. Everything starts to diminish, and at that she promises herself to hunt down anyone who'd ever wake her up from this wonderful rest. The dinosaur is taken by the jaws of death into a peaceful rest.

The Armitage blood has to pay for a debt they never asked for and which actually in the first place was for the creditor's own good.

A group of archaeologists working in Como Cabins eventually decide to blast the remaining fossils after completing their work there. Emile Marigate strongly objects to her discovery being blasted and as a result war ensues. There are numerous gunshots from her team mates that sees to her bleeding to death. Her blood drips onto the excavated bones of the allosaurus. Her discovery is later to be named Emily from its discoverer, Emile.

Dinosaur spirits are awoken by human blood. As such, First is awoken and henceforth she seeks to torment the blood line of whoever snatched from her the pleasant rest.

The Armitage family have to face the wrath of this viscous killer decades later.

Dylan, Emile's great great grandson, comes to their rescue in an attempt to protect his wife and only daughter from the killer monster.

The Different Kinds of Monsters is a fantasy novel that follows concurrent story lines. That of an ancient predator who lived 150 years ago and the Armitage family living at the final vestige of modern life. It shows the connection between humans and dinosaurs.

The main character, Dylan, has a life full of fantasy. From a tender age of six, he is able to drift into the great depths of the life of an ancient dinosaur decades before his own existence. This experience enables him to understand fossil language, particularly that of Emily. He is able to hear her words and feel her every moves.

The Different Kinds of Monsters has a tinge of romantic intermezzo especially focusing on the main character's love life.

It is so captivating as the author defines humans into monster language. There are four kinds of men. Monsters in hiding, nice all around, plain mean any way you slice it, and those who turn their anger outwards. The Armitage men all appear to be into the monster list, a clear reminder that there are wolves under the sheep's skin.

The setting of the modern life story is typical of the native Americans. The cross-country Odyssey is brought out in this book as the Armitage family, consisting of young Dylan, are forced to live a fugitive life due to his father, Mr. Armitage's misdoings. It highlights the pros and cons of such a life.

What I liked most in this book is that it disputes cultural considerations of many African countries. As would have been the case, the dinosaur spirit would have tortured the men living out women as they are always considered not to be part of family wars by many African cultures. Otherwise, The Different Kinds of Monsters does not criticize women as Dylan's daughter is also pursued by the monster.

The author is equipped with dinosaur studies as he lists and discusses the different classes of dinosaurs. Believe me, they are way much more than you thought.

The author also focuses on trending issues affecting the world such as bombing of nations by enemy countries, which I found to be a good thing since he proves to be concerned with the welfare of his country.

There are minor grammatical errors that I don't think would spoil any reader's mood while reading the book or lower their interest in it. The book will keep them entertained in it's twirls nevertheless.

I have a soft spot for any story told in the first person with a witty narrator and The Different Kinds of Monsters happens to be such, with the narrator taking the main character's part.

Seth Chambers is an epitome of an whole round member of the society. Born with a Pentel Rolling Writer in hand, he has worked as an army medic, mental health counselor, farm hand-man, wilderness guide, bike messenger, and as an arid ESL teacher.

His writings have been featured in the Fantasy Scroll among other places.

The Different Kinds of Monsters is his fourth novel.

With all the above in mind, I'd rate The Different Kinds of Monsters a 4 out of 4 stars. Despite it having some minor grammatical errors, it wasn't to an extent that would make me lower my rating. I'd recommend it to any mature reader with a gusto for fantasy books. It contains explicit language hence shouldn't be availed to non-exposed readers and young readers. It also contains highly disturbing content not suitable for readers of a younger age.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lisamcogutu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Feasting on a carrion involves less risk than hunting. Meat is meat, whichever way it is attained.
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

Fantastic review. Good work, keep it up! :)
alavirafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alavirafi.html

Post by alavirafi »

I have read this book. It's amazing. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”