Review by kdstrack -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you have a desire to travel and see the world? Have you dreamed about living on the beach and watching beautiful sunsets from your balcony? Would learning the local language be an obstacle? In his novel, Gringo, author Dan “Tito” Davis, relates the experiences he had in several foreign countries. He describes how he entered these countries and why he relocated so frequently.

Dan grew up in a small town in South Dakota. He was the oldest of five children. He started working when he was ten-years-old and took a job assisting a crop duster. While in high school, he worked as a jockey. At this young age, he was already earning large sums of money. He admits that he was obsessed with making money. After entering university, he kept raking in the millions by selling White Cross pills to fellow students.

Even though White Cross pills were actually ephedrine, a legal substance, the sale of these pills eventually connected him with other dealers. For a short time he expanded into stronger substances. A bad decision led him to work with a friend who eventually accused him, before the authorities, of being a meth dealer. To avoid going to prison, he fled the country and spent the next thirteen years hiding in several different countries.

Dan chronicles his life on the run. Obtaining legal documents was a struggle and a challenge. Using his fake documents for travel also created constant stress. He gives vivid descriptions of the different places where he lived. The book covers the years he spent in several Latin American countries, India and Germany. He describes his business deals but also writes about his cultural ventures.

The story is fast paced and thrilling. The shifting scenery, from country to country, is fascinating and also educational. The mood varies. Dan recounts his tense encounters with law enforcement that resulted from some foolish decisions. He frequently calls himself the “stupid gringo.” Simultaneously, we witness his constant search for love. He longed to see his family and endeavored to start a family of his own.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story line was compelling and adventurous. One thing I didn’t like about the book was all the misspelled Spanish words. I wondered if this was done purposely since the author constantly mentions his inadequate language skills. I recommend this book to mature audiences as the book portrays some adult themes such as drug use, kidnapping and prostitution.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book is truly a thrilling account of Gringo's life. It was really an interesting book for me. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for your detailed review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 00:13 The book is truly a thrilling account of Gringo's life. It was really an interesting book for me. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for your detailed review.
I did enjoy the book. While not agreeing with his motives nor his actions, the book was a well-written memoir of what he experienced. He did have his millions - for a time. In the end, crime doesn't pay!
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

Very similar to my own, I liked the book for its pace. However, it was very difficult to agree with the character or the choices he made for a living.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kinkini wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 23:52 Very similar to my own, I liked the book for its pace. However, it was very difficult to agree with the character or the choices he made for a living.
So true. Thanks for reading.
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

This book is thrilling and hilarious as an international fugitive Gringo face the incredible. How he handles issues concerning life decisions is just out of this world ironically. I am still reading it and i don't want to finish.

Thanks the review man
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kashosi wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 08:10 This book is thrilling and hilarious as an international fugitive Gringo face the incredible. How he handles issues concerning life decisions is just out of this world ironically. I am still reading it and i don't want to finish.

Thanks the review man
It is an interesting read. He certainly made some unconventional choices and later had to face the consequences of his actions. I'm glad you're enjoying the book. Thanks for commenting.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This seems like a good suspenseful book about a fugitive and his constant run in with the law and I'm assuming the other drug Lords; I am intrigued because this is a true story. I also find it educational when the setting is in other countries. Thanks for your review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mmg8464 wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 11:46 This seems like a good suspenseful book about a fugitive and his constant run in with the law and I'm assuming the other drug Lords; I am intrigued because this is a true story. I also find it educational when the setting is in other countries. Thanks for your review!
This is a very interesting story. His life story is interesting and the places he lived while on the run added to the story. Thanks for stopping by!
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

Like you misspelled Spanish words made me question, whether or not they were made purposely. I think they were because some errors were way too obvious for not getting noticed by an author. Thanks for your review. I enjoyed reading it.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ana Megrelishvili wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 13:37 Like you misspelled Spanish words made me question, whether or not they were made purposely. I think they were because some errors were way too obvious for not getting noticed by an author. Thanks for your review. I enjoyed reading it.
Looks like we had the same reaction. Thanks for stopping by!
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Kinkini wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 23:52 Very similar to my own, I liked the book for its pace. However, it was very difficult to agree with the character or the choices he made for a living.
I agree fully. Although it was still a good read, but do think that the subjects broached seriousness is underplayed.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. Nice review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

emeraldlaurice012 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 09:57 This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. Nice review!
Yes! It was an entertaining book. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”