Review by Nerea -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book GRINGO, by Dan “Tito” Davis is a memoir that aroused different kind of questions as I read through its pages, such as; Is drug dealing addictive? Can someone break free from that bondage? How does the business affect one's relationship with others in the society? How long will one live as a fugitive until they are busted by the Feds?

Dan “Tito” Davis was born and raised in a humble family. Fortunately, his parents were able to send him and his siblings to school. He loved sports and he became a professional wrestler. His life journey started when he joined college, a friend introduced him to White Crosses, a pill that had a relatively positive effect on the users.

He later realized how the pills would earn him easy cash and help him improve financially because life in college wasn’t that easy in an empty pocket. Dealing drugs wasn’t that bad for him for we see his business elevating him and he was able to build an empire, got him a pilot license and was able to support his parents. He meets Lisa who he later marries and builds a family with, but for how long? The Feds are after him investigating what he does for a living. Is he busted and thrown to prison?

There are several things I liked about the book, such as, the memoir is not just a report of the writers’ life events but it includes the dialogue feature in the story. The writer used the question feature to help the reader understand why he opted to do what he did to earn a living. Also, the use of rhetoric questions charmed the narration. There was a vivid connection in each chapter as the story advanced. This makes the reader enjoy reading the book anticipating of what’s going to happen next. Last but not least, the story tied in well with the titles of each chapter.

Drug dealing has consequences both positive and negative. The positive side is that the business brings you quick money. On the other hand, it can make you live your whole life as a fugitive. It also pointed out that drug dealing is viral, once you taste it, you get immersed into it that getting out of it can be difficult.

I rate the book at 4 out of 4 stars because all events in the story were comprehensively narrated. It had less grammar mistakes and this saved me from distractions as I read through the chapters. It’s my first and best memoir novels I’ve read.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nerea's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I'm not usually a fan of memoirs, precisely due to the lack of dialogues and engaging plot, but this book seems to differ according to your review. But drug dealing is kinda heavy topic for me, so maybe I'll pass. Great review though!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Thanks for the review! I really like your commentary on how the author got into drug dealing in the first place. I'm not the biggest memoir person, but I may just check this book out.
"No way but forward!"
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I like the author's use of rhetoric questions.For a book like this,it is very needful.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

C-Extra22 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 14:23 I like the author's use of rhetoric questions.For a book like this,it is very needful.
Can't agree enough. Thank you.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

kaymontacell wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 09:42 Thanks for the review! I really like your commentary on how the author got into drug dealing in the first place. I'm not the biggest memoir person, but I may just check this book out.
Please do, am sure you'll enjoy reading it. Thank you.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Fuzaila wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 10:13 I'm not usually a fan of memoirs, precisely due to the lack of dialogues and engaging plot, but this book seems to differ according to your review. But drug dealing is kinda heavy topic for me, so maybe I'll pass. Great review though!
Thank you.
No Wahala
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for your comments on this book. I really enjoyed your summary of this book and the questions you posed in the beginning. I think I'm going to have to give this one a read to learn more!
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

The dialogue feature in the story is a good one.It would help the reader understand the story.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:28 Thank you for your comments on this book. I really enjoyed your summary of this book and the questions you posed in the beginning. I think I'm going to have to give this one a read to learn more!
That will be great. Thank you.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:34 The dialogue feature in the story is a good one.It would help the reader understand the story.
Very true.
No Wahala
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”