Review by Kimmanne Kim -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kimmanne Kim
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmanne-kim.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by Kimmanne Kim -- Gringo

Post by Kimmanne Kim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dan “Tito” Davis in this book ‘My life on the edge as an international fugitive’ has hit on an important topic about the criminal underground. The real story begins when he was just a naive child during his early years in life at South Dakota in United States of America, where he grew up knowing pretty less due to lack of technology unlike today. He also talks about how he worked and earned at 10 years of age which reveals how privileged he was as not many people would be earning at that age.

Davis talks about how he was introduced to drugs by his college friend and he would become an expert in selling them in the entire institution to the extent of even being frustrated due to low supply that is not able to sustain the high demand, until pressure makes him quit the institution to join another one. He later gets a new and abundant supply through another friend. With the thriving business, he even opens a flying school and later on, he is imprisoned as a drug dealer .Life in prison is unpleasant and Davis is seen as if to regret his actions thus completes his sentence as a rehabilitated man, only to again start weed business after his release. This again lands him into trouble after being lured unknowingly by a childhood friend working for the police and he lands in prison once more.

The book takes me through his life taking a twist, when he decides to escape from United States, leave his family and go to Latin America where he finds his way to Mexico all this time without papers. I note that despite all odds, Davis is making new friends everywhere he goes. In Latin America, poverty and filth seems to be the norm but he has to persist since he has no choice. Due to communication barrier, he even goes to grade school to learn Spanish. He would travel to Colombia where crime is the norm and makes friends with people still involved in crime.

It is clear that life is not easy for Davis being a drug dealer and even after being on the run with fake papers, he ends up being arrested at long last and taken back to the United States of America. In almost all these scenes, I notice quite relatable characters of a people involved in crime in one way or the other. The characters and the book’s title describes the life of crime experienced by Davis as a fugitive.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I liked everything about it. In addition, there were some minor grammatical errors, meaning that it was professionally edited. The words and sentences flowed very well thus I was able to picture the different scenes in my mind. The chapters kept me wanting to know what happens next. I would recommend this book to youths and adults who can read it so as to be deterred from getting involved in crime and bad company and others who may be interested in this genre.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kimmanne Kim's review? Post a comment saying so!
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”