Review by holaerjon -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holaerjon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holaerjon.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by holaerjon -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by holaerjon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis is a true account of the author's life who was born into poverty and who was faced with many hardships. He knew about the real aspects of life and dealt with these in accordance with what he felt he should do to make his and his loved one's life better. He took all of his triumphs to heart and done what he had learned was right to make this happen. He began at a very, very young age selling drugs and conning people by selling a fake pill that was actually ephedrine. This began his life of chaos which compliments his realization that everything can go wrong in life for some people; his self included. He had been taught this since he was very young as this had gone on for generations before him. He felt he had to get out of the family tradition.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I give the book this amount because "Tito" Davis incorporated humor into the story line while dealing with some very important issues. These issues can bring people down if they think about them too much as they are the worst part of the world today. I personally believe not having them looked on too seriously helps the mood of the book and helped me be able to continue reading until the end. I believe this book would appeal to the person who has been in these circumstances before or knows someone who has been this position in their life as it is part of the real world issues.

Davis makes the wanted list at a very young age and even makes millions in college selling drugs. He cannot seem to break the cycle. Even though this habit is very bad, this demonstrates he had led a very unique life even before he went to prison. It is definitely one to write about and share what has happened and what he did and did not learn as Davis was sent to prison. When he got released from jail, he returned to his same ways and ended up on the run internationally. Remember these accounts are suppose to be a true testimony.

The book is a very fast-paced story of a life of a fugitive who is very confused. I do not think many people ca understand what a fugitive thinks or what leads to their decisions in life. I like the fact you are in the fugitives brain. It shows what he felt he done right under the circumstances and that he learned that money is not always as self-satisfying as living the right kind of life and doing things that satisfy the soul.

It has romance, betrayal, kidnapping, violence, sex and prostitution. I would not recommend anyone under the age of 18 to read but I do feel it should be a good book for others to read because it had all of these elements. It is very fast-paced and used some words I did not understand, but it does not leave the reader hanging. It will answer any questions that come to your mind about the characters and keep you wanting more. It is hard to believe someone's life has been liked this and I am thankful the author felt the need to share his life's journey. The very talented grammar and structure helped make the book even more appealing to me and I would recommend this as a must read.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holaerjon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I appreciate that you've mentioned that this book is only for a mature reader. A book was intriguing, but I got disappointed in the end. I wanted to know much more... Thanks for an interesting review.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”