Review by sarahmarlowe -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by sarahmarlowe -- The Reel Sisters

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters, by Michelle Cummings, is a beautiful story of women who embrace their need for connections with friends. Cummings weaves an energetic and touching story about five women who become friends through their interest in fly fishing. Now, I will admit that I was thrown right there. I don’t fish. I don’t have any interest in fishing, and I didn’t expect to become so intrigued by the sport. However, I loved learning about fly fishing and its intricacies!

In The Reel Sisters, readers follow the interactions of five women from different walks of life who have come together under the tutelage of Rose, an older woman who learned how to fly fish in her youth. One by one, the women have encountered Rose and have created a strong friendship with her, bonding over breakfast and long talks and fly fishing. The group meets at Rose’s Colorado cabin during the year for visiting and for refreshing. While Rose and three of the ladies are fishing one day, they encounter a naked woman being dragged downstream through rocks and frigid water. Pulling her out of the river, they adopt her as part of their group, and she joins the sisterhood. As these women move throughout the book and their individual situations, they address life truths and allow the reader to investigate with them. For instance, these characters share worrying about a spouse overseas, shopping yard sales to provide on a budget, finding good help to take over at work, wasting time on a bad relationship, and passing on knowledge to the next generation. And, I love the wisdom from the characters that bacon should be its own food group and that coffee always makes a situation better!

I liked that Cummings presents fly fishing as an art form and that she compares the art of fly fishing with the art of living. Cummings creates the story like a patient teacher, acting much like the character Rose. She integrates quotes from books on fly fishing into different sections of the book, connecting the strategies of fly fishing to the story to come. The Reel Sisters portrays many different beautiful lives coming together to create a new and unique art: a special friendship. I also liked that the author tells this beautiful story through different points of view of characters. The reader even gets to see both sides of the story of some incidents.

I didn’t like some of the extended sections of dialogue, but the conversations were fluid and were often crucial in moving the plot forward.

I rate The Reel Sisters 4 out of 4 stars. Characters are developed and full, becoming real to the reader. This novel is also full of wonderful descriptions and stunning imagery, painting a picture for readers so that they are immersed in a beautiful setting, mostly in the Colorado wilderness. I found some editorial mistakes, but not so many that I felt I needed to give the book a 3-star rating.

This book would appeal to readers looking for a character-driven story or to those who enjoy stories set primarily in nature.

If you don’t like books with an ensemble cast, this one is probably not for you.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Great review! How do you feel about the amount of details in the descriptions throughout the book? did you find it excessive? To be quite honest, I think there was quite a bit of information in the descriptions that could be spared without issues.
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

This is an excellent review. The concept of fly fishing Is an amazing one. I enjoyed reading about the sport.
Victor Nnamdi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor23nnamdi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Victor Nnamdi_ »

The five women teaches us an exemplary life of friendship and sisterhood. I really loved it.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

In addition to exposing me to the sport of fly fishing, this book also broadens my understanding of the beneficial effects of friendship. I appreciate your entertaining review.
Peace Eze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I’m glad I learned about the bond of friendship from this book. The author did a great job impacting virtues in the lives of readers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”