Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkerbout by Tina Dreffin is a non-fiction travel memoir. The book details the life experiences and the adventures of the author. The book was published by Blue Publishing Incorporated. All the stories in this book are true, although some names and identifying details have been changed to protect the privacy of the people involved. The book was written over a ten-year period.

Tina Dreffin is preparing to go on a grand tour into Africa. They plan on taking a flight to Johannesburg. From there, they will take delivery of their new boat in Port Elisabeth. They would then sail from South Africa to the Caribbean, catching big waves to surf along the way. She is taking this trip with her family. Her husband, Peter, and their two sons, Adam and Warren, are eager for this adventure. They plan on picking up Tina's mother and her niece, Brittany, from the airport to join them on their expedition. After their South Pacific Expedition, Tina felt that she had to have one last adventure with her sons before they grew up and went their separate ways. During the trip, Tina shares her life experiences. She shares how she was sexually assaulted, and how sexual assault is a major issue around the world. We learn how she came to leave her job. We also learn how she met Peter, how she fell in love, and how she dropped everything to travel around the world with him. When they visit Kruger Park, they have an exhilarating run-in with an elephant. What else will they encounter in their expedition? What other wild animals will they encounter in Kruger Park? What other experiences will Tina share? Will they finish their expedition unharmed? All these questions will be answered in this amazing book.

The book has a lot of themes that are used masterfully to narrate the story. The main theme I encountered was adventure. Tina has a wild side to her which she shares with the rest of her family. They move from adventure to adventure without taking breaks. Tina and Peter have been robbed by beach cops, escaped from a wild animal encounter, and survived heartache when they lost a child. Another major theme I encountered was abuse. Sexual assault is a major issue which Tina highlights. She says that one in every six women has faced some form of sexual assault in her life. I encountered themes like culture, love, humour, grief, depression, faith, trust, and growth. The author highlights these themes masterfully to narrate the experiences she faced.

The author expresses the characters in this book perfectly. We get a very clear picture of Tina and the experiences she faced. We see her determined to leave her job in the hopes of finding a better path. We see her lose herself to love and leave her life behind in order to make a new one. We see her welcome the numerous adventures and lessons that come her way. I enjoyed following Tina's journey. I found amazing life lessons in every adventure she had. The author uses a refreshing amount of humour to tell this story. I laughed helplessly throughout the book from the phrases used. The author is hilarious in the way she sees the world.

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because I found the story flowing effortlessly. I could not put the book down until I finished it. The amazing themes and the organic humour used in telling the author's story was masterfully written. I did not encounter any spelling or grammatical errors. This led me to believe that the book was professionally edited. There were a few typos, but they were sporadic and did not hinder the rhythm of the book. This is why they did not factor into my rating. I did not find anything that I disliked about this book.

I would recommend this book to non-fiction fans. The book would also appeal to readers who enjoy adventure and humour. The book was written masterfully. The author's perspective on issues like sexual assault and culture were inspirational. I also came to love her take on faith. I look forward to reading more of the author's works.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ferdinand_otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I like reading travel memoirs. Hopefully, it would inspire an adventurous person like me. Thanks for this appealing review.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a wonderful story. After reading this book, I came to conclusion that many people don't both the formalities of life rather take it as a fun. Thanks for this nice review .
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

Thank you for the insightful review, you made sure to cover all aspects of the book. Personally, I was disappointed with the errors and bumpy start, other than that the book was a perfect read. Great job.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

If you're a nature lover or have a deep fascination with the ocean, Bluewater Walkabout is a must-read. Tina Dreffin's profound connection to the marine world and her encounters with its inhabitants will leave you in awe!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”