Review by Jdalba2018 -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by Jdalba2018 -- Gringo

Post by Jdalba2018 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever considered leaving everything behind and starting a new life? Consider not seeing or contacting your family again - your spouse, your kids. This is what happened to Dan “Tito” Davis when he was falsely accused of drug trafficking, after being released from five years in jail. Following his attorney’s advice, Tito realized his freedom was jeopardized, so he crossed the border into Mexico, not even knowing the language. He took a train from the border to San Miguel de Allende, and then moved to different places, always keeping a low profile. Furthermore, he attempted to blend anonymously, and abstained from socializing with other Americans he might encounter. From Mexico, he moved to Central America and Colombia where he stayed for a while protected by local gangs. As things got rough, he moved to Venezuela where his life improved. In addition, he also spent time in Cuba, Germany, the island of Bali, and India, always using fake identities to cross borders. He never considered returning home because he was sure that the police would be waiting for him to put him back in jail.

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Dan "Tito" Davis is a story of survival, going from town to town, country to country, risking his freedom every second, and sleeping always with one opened eye. I enjoyed the way the author narrates his interactions with local residents, as well as everything he had to do to stay out of trouble. For example, his decision to stay clean and sober for the rest of his life. One good way to describe Tito’s life is as a very lucky one.

There are some situations that I consider inappropriate due to sexual content, so if you object to this kind of material please abstain from reading this book. Let's just say that if it were a movie, these scenes would earn an adult-only classification. If you like a story from real life that will leave you with some very good lessons, this is a book for you.

I found out that most of the words or sentences in Spanish are not written correctly, instead, they are written the way an American would say them. For instance, the phrase "gringo stupido” that is constantly repeated during the whole book, should be "gringo estupido". In addition, I also found some errors in English, however, they did not compromise the story’s content.

I rate Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Dan "Tito" Davis 4 out of 4 stars because it kept me entertained the whole time. The narrative is not fast paced like an action movie, but there are moments when you do feel the sweat on your own forehead.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jdalba2018's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The main character has a complicated life. We all err, but I do hope that he and the rest of us in real life get to have the chance for redemption and the best outcomes. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

The author's story is interesting, but I imagine if I was in a similar situation, I'd be terrified. Loved your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”